Comtrend Powerline Adaptors - Do they have Wifi?

Pearl06

Standard Member
We have recently changed our Internet provider to the local company Wightfibre. The router is downstairs in our living room but my PC is upstairs in a bedroom. However, the signal to the PC is not as good as previously. Often I have trouble getting onto the Internet - once it took 40 minutes to connect.

I have spoken to Wightfibre and asked if I could use Powerline Adaptors to boost the signal. He said that it is possible but they should not be wi-fi enabled. I have two Comtrend adaptors but I don't know if they are wif-fi enabled.

Can anyone advise me please?

jimscreechy

No they'll be fine, just plug them in and use them. However! Powerline adaptors don't do any 'Signal Boosting'

They transfer data from one point to another using the domestic power cabling. So the pc in the bedroom will need a wired ethernet connector.

Pearl06

Standard Member
Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I do have an ethernet cable which came with the adaptors so all is OK.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Unless there are some sort of local bylaws on the Isle of Wight around wi-fi or radio emissions generally I'm not sure why he's asking you to check. It shouldn't make any difference to their functionality.

jimscreechy

Reassurance I expect. Its easy for us as 'experts' since we know and it's so simple, but some uncertainty when dealing with unfamiliarity normal... and usually quite prudent. Better to avoid potential disaster by asking if in doubt... as my 5 year teacher used to say.

Pearl06

Standard Member
I think there possibly is a type of adaptor which does have WiFi. That is the impression I got anyway.

I am happy with Wightfibre. It is cheaper for a start and the company premises are only about five miles away!

Pearl06

Standard Member
Well I tried them but no luck! The theory was OK but something didn't work. I will try later, having read the instructions again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom