Comtrend Homeplug Issue (WDTV Live)

monkey butler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've recently bought a WDTV Live, and 3 BT Comtrend 9020 Homeplugs (of which i'm currently only using 2).

I've got the main one set up plugged into my BT Homehub, which plugs into my Media PC acting as a server (using Tversity).

The thing is, in the other room where my WDTV Live is, plugged into the other Homeplug, it's not always finding an IP address. Now i'm sure that this is due to the fact the after periods of inactivity the Homeplug just falls back to a red light that blinks twice (the top 2 lights are not lit).

So the problem is, I fire everything up, WDTV springs into life, but i can't see my media.

To attempt to troubleshoot this I've already checked that the plugs are paired, and they are. Indeed, I have had the WDTV working. I've also swapped over the Homeplugs for my spare third one, and it works - until the next time when i get the same problem.

Any recommendations on what school boy error I've made here?

Thanks!

Have you tried the "slave" homeplug in another socket (ideally in the same room as your hub is located)? This would help in figuring out if it's something in the wiring that is causing the problem.

First of all Comtrend 9020s are NOT HomePlugs. For example HomePlugs do not need to be "paired" but plug and ply right out of the box.

You may have interference on your mains, a bad connection, or a bad Comtrend adapter.

BTW some extension cable will not support power line adapters so ensure that they are plugged in to dedicated wall sockets.

Last edited:
Have you tried the "slave" homeplug in another socket (ideally in the same room as your hub is located)? This would help in figuring out if it's something in the wiring that is causing the problem.

Sorry, yes I've tried the plug in another socket, and i seem the get the same results. It appears go to sleep in effect.

First of all Comtrend 9020s are NOT HomePlugs. For example HomePlugs do not need to be "paired" but plug and ply right out of the box.

You may have interference on your mains, a bad connection, or a bad Comtrend adapter.

BTW some extension cable will not support power line adapters so ensure that they are plugged in to dedicated wall sockets.

Sorry, but what do i all these then?

I've already tried a 2nd EP Comtrend in a different socket in the same room, and the same thing happens. What i haven't tried is swapping out the AP for a spare, so i'll try that next.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom