Question Computer won't boot

RaffatheRed

Established Member
Reaction score
I built a pc in 2012 and yesterday while I was cleaning I leant against the tower and switched it on and off by accident as my hand caught the button. Problem is when I went to switch it on later it came up with some message and then set about fixing itself. I was able to get into the bios and after that some options appeared in Windows such as continue, boot from usb, attempt to fix, etc,etc. Problem is now it switches on but nothing happens, then switches off, then switches on with a beep and after about 5 secs a screen appears, then it goes off and repeats the whole process continually.
Processor is an i5 3570k I think it is, motherboard is an GA Z77-D3H, Windows 10.
Any ideas as I'm stuck and have quotes to get out.
Thanks.

Does the HDD/SSD show in the BIOS/UEFI?
If not then the drive could have failed, but if it does then you may be able to do a Windows repair using a bootable USB recovery drive
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -

Mark.

Check the fuse on the power plug? Knocked the power cable lose from the back of the pc or pulled it slightly out of the wall socket? Take all the rear pc cables out and reinsert them so you know they are in properly. Still no joy, open it up and check the internals. Clean out the dust from the fans etc with a soft paint brush and a vacuum hose sucking up the dust as you loosen it. Then replug internal cables and test again. See if the motherboards getting power, if it's not it's likely the PSU or motherboard.

Check the fuse on the power plug? Knocked the power cable lose from the back of the pc or pulled it slightly out of the wall socket? Take all the rear pc cables out and reinsert them so you know they are in properly. Still no joy, open it up and check the internals. Clean out the dust from the fans etc with a soft paint brush and a vacuum hose sucking up the dust as you loosen it. Then replug internal cables and test again. See if the motherboards getting power, if it's not it's likely the PSU or motherboard.
Wouldn't have thought it would be the fuse in the plug as the computer powers up but doesn't boot to Windows and just keeps repeating the cycle.

Oh ok. When you said you couldn't get into the Bios anymore I thought you might have power issues.
Check online for the beep code errors for your motherboard. Might help isolate the issue. Opening and cleaning and reseating ram sticks and internal cabling is worth a go as if you can't get into the bios that's pointing to a hardware issue.

I've seen PC's behave similar to this just because the plug was not fully seated in the power socket. So as already suggested unplug the power lead from both the PC and socket and then plug back in and see if it powers on and boots.
Other than that the BIOS beep code is a big help to narrow down an issue, or reseating RAM and internal cables can often get a PC going again.

Mark.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. My computer has been away fro repair now for like 10 days and there's still no news.
I'm looking at going and picking it up and trying your suggestions out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom