1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer to TV problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chris F, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Chris F

Chris F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm hoping this is the right place to post - seemed like the best place to ask this question. It's possibly got a really simple solution, but I'm only just learning about all of this stuff and I'm quite ignorant atm, so I'd really appreciate any help!

Basically, I've just bought a relatively cheap widescreen tv (28 inch Lodos for 160 quid). It's got two scart sockets at the back, and I've plugged svideo and audio leads from my computer (using a Geforce FX 5900 ultra) into one of the scarts. What I'm trying to get sorted is decent divx and dvd playback from the computer to the TV. I've managed to get it all set up using Nvidia's nView program, and so I've effectively got both screens set up (my iiyama 17 inch CRT on 1280x1024 at 85 hertz and the 28 Lodos at 640x480 at 60 hertz). Now this is where I start getting pretty confused. First of all, the tv says that it only supports 50 hertz in the manual, but also says it supports NTSC and PAL. From what I've read it looks like PAL runs at 50 hertz and NTSC runs at 60, so that doesn't seem consistent with a tv limited to 50. Also, I remembered that when you insert some gamecube games it asks if the tv can run 50 or 60...tried setting Mario Kart to 60, and had no problems. My vague conclusion from this is that there shouldn't be a problem with my graphics card outputting 60 hertz to the tv, HOWEVER a friend has told me that the problems I'm experiencing are exactly this!

Divx and dvds in the main play fine, however certain colours (mainly white) seem to precipitate a kind of shiny, sparkling blue (possibly the RGB lead not making white properly?). This has happened to a greater extent when watching films...for some reason when watching a couple of tv episodes of things that had been encoded into divx this problem was almost unnoticeable. Also, when the tv is being used as a secondary display it will often go black and white with the colour bleeding out, and back in when media is played. I'm not sure if the colour is ever completely monochrome, but it definitely looks completely different to my monitor background...the colour if anything is barely noticeable at its worse. I don't know if these problems are linked, since I don't really understand what I'm talking about, but thought if it was crucial I should mention it. Finally, the mouse pointer on the tv exhibits a classic example of the problems in the films (ie it is blue and sparkling, especially around the edges).

Really hope someone can help me out, or point me in the right direction if this is the wrong place to post. I can't afford a better tv or a dvd player, and I'd really like to get a nice set up to watch films.

Thanks, Chris

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My friend had a similar problem with his tv, he swapped to a radeon 9600 and all is fine. I think it was a combination of bad output from his nvidia and poor svideo in on a cheap tv that caused the problem. IMO ati has always given the best svideo output and ive never encountered a problem with it.

3. Chris F

Chris F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used the same setup on a TV that supported 100 hertz and it was fine though, which is why I'm confused as to whether it's a hertz problem, or just a setting that I can change.

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does the tv have an svideo socket on it as svideo through the scart can be a bit naff on some tv's. Also try tv tool as this sorts out many display issues with geforce cards.

5. Chris F

Chris F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tv doesn't have svideo on it, only scart...I'll give tvtool a go now - thinking about it, I have used that prog in the past rather than Nview

6. Chris F

Chris F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried TVTool 9.7 and that didn't seem to help unfortunately.

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Chris

I know you dont really want to spend anything extra, but as a general rule the TV output on graphics cards isnt very good at all (unless you make your own custom cable to drive your TV via RGB and then start using PowerStrip)

Basically if you want minimal hassle and the best picture quality possible on a TV type display, then the Sigma XCard is the card of choice.

hope that sort of helps..sort of :)

cheers