1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer to optoma through dvi

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BIGGUSDIKKUS, Dec 22, 2004.

1. BIGGUSDIKKUS

BIGGUSDIKKUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    talking to man in maplin about hdmi it works out that if you get a top graphic card you can run your dvds to your optoma for around 200 quid which is better than 770 plus for a dvd player

2. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Funny you should post this..
    I have an old 32 inch crt panny - very early box (its black). built in dolby with three front and two rear speakers. had it years. but its about played out.
    started looking around and thinking of DLP telly. will have to get speakers/amp of some kind (the denon all in one I was thinking) and was going to get a dvd recorder with hard disk.
    got some mags and started to haunt the fora.
    Then found out about the hdmi/digital 'copyright' concerns and the connection options.
    and that a dvd recorder with hdmi and or dvi output seems to be as rare as rocking horse droppings.
    so it looks like I need
    a new dlp telly - which can be just a monitor as I also need to build SFF HCPC.
    (decent dvd recorders with h/d cost hundreds) that can play and record dvds to a good standard. and good digital tv card
    some speakers that I may as well plug into the sound on the pc.
    don't need anywhere near a top end graphics card to satisfy Hi-def telly, mid range will do it nicely.
    This would seem to get all round functionality, get around the restrictions on connectivity being forced on us and be many pounds cheaper.
    trouble is I gotta figure out the right components that match and give good quality sound and vision. lookslike I will head to the HCPC fora.
    I think its worth a saving of mucho dinero and will give a more flexible solution.
    Am I miles off do you reckon ?

Steve :lease:

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Nothing wrong with the ideas.

Don't forget that you will have to get used to operating through a PC interface for all your viewing needs. Not an easy sell to the Wife!

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    A not inconsequential consideration.
    good catch - thanks.
    wonder if the savings will pay for some software that does this stuff. if it exists.
    I favour building a linux box as its so customisable and so much faster per pound than windaz. I bet there is stuff out there for this.
    now just need the time to research....
    would be annoyed if I end up buying loadsaexpensiveboxesthatIdontreallyneedcosIhaventgotthetime.
    Would like to save enough from the build so that I could pay for a nice motorised satelite set up. that would be sweet - am on cable telly at the mo, analogue at that.
    This not a budget thing (within reason of course..), this is a 'best solution' thing that is driving me this way.
    Aam still trying to get a view of these DLP sets, retailers I have looked in not showing 'em. (in Herts, stevenage,WGC area)
    btw since last I bought a serious telly I thought the EU had put and end to price fixing in the tv and video marketplace. prices still seem very uniform - or do I need to read a few more mags....

BTW these fora the ones I read the most - good stuff here I think.
    Many thanks from a lurker to the contributors.

Steve

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Nope use Windows Media Center 2005 all through 1 application, 1 remote control for tv,dvd,radio,tv etc very easy once setup and can do the same as sky plus but no monthly fees.
    Built mine myself and works great.

6. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Interesting. Did you post the config in the HCPC forum.
    I gotta say I hate windaz - have worked in software for decades and just can't stand what Windaz is. That said installing XP and then spending a few hours configuring it to remove the crud wouldn't be too high a price to pay if the result is good.