• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Computer Temperture

niccam

Standard Member
Hi I have a AMD PHENOM 2 QUAD 965 3.4GHZ and have a software VTune which tells me the temperture of my computer .Ran it last night after about 2 hours and the temp was 62c so I switched off as I thought that was very high also the fan got very noisey.It has a fan on the processor with a heatsink and a air duct to direct the air to the processor and thats it. I now have taken the air duct off and put a small fan in its place [Suck in] and also a fan on the back to draw air out and after an hour the temp is 58c. Can you advise on the following.
1 Correct temp for this system
2. best combintion of fans / vent on or off

Thank you

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Without knowing too much about your heatsink (and also answers to the above questions), that processor dissipates up to 125W. Now you don't say what you were doing for the two hours but the typical specification for a stock cooler is 0.35degs/W so you can expect the temperature to rise by 40 degs if you are running flat out. Yesterday was a warm day so a room air temperature of 25 degs would result in a chip temp of 65 degs. An average chip temp of 65 degs will obviously reduce the life of your cpu but If you're a hard core user (which that cpu suggests you are) you'll be upgrading long before it dies!

As you have a duct, I presume it's a pre-built system. Tell us more about the rig and what you do with it.

To reduce the temperature you need to improve the heatsinking capability.

niccam

Standard Member
Hi spyder viewer and deadringers thanks for your interest.
deadringers the temp is GPU
spyder viewer the set up is as follows;
ASROCK K10N78FULLHD-hSLI motherboard
AMD PhenomII x4 965 3.4ghz processor AVC heatsink with AMD Fan
500gb HD
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1gb graphics card
dvd burner
4gb ram

Bios CPU Fan Temp Min 45c Max 65c
Switch on was at 36c after 20mins 57c, Attic room temp 27c

Computer solely for Video editing Pinnacle Studio Ulimate Collection 14 not HD material

Need any more info ? Cheers

i would recomend replacing the thermal paste as thi should be done every year or two to keep things snug.

ic diamond is the best stuff going from benchmark tests and reviews as well as tech specs.

you can try the following.

adding higher spec after market fans

aftermarket heatsinks

watercooling rig.

the zalman reserator (passive not the massive fan cooled one) is £160 come with everything you need to start except for liquids but does have all the tubes, rad, pump, resevior and it comes with a cpu block to fit intel i7 cpu's dont know if this would fit your amd or not but it also comes with a GPU water block which is nice as most kits only come with the cpu block.

personally i would replace the thermal paste with the ic diamond, an aftermarket heatsink for the cpu and gpu then add more fans if that didnt help enough then try the water cooling.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Hi spyder viewer and deadringers thanks for your interest.
deadringers the temp is GPU
spyder viewer the set up is as follows;
ASROCK K10N78FULLHD-hSLI motherboard
AMD PhenomII x4 965 3.4ghz processor AVC heatsink with AMD Fan
500gb HD
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1gb graphics card
dvd burner
4gb ram

Bios CPU Fan Temp Min 45c Max 65c
Switch on was at 36c after 20mins 57c, Attic room temp 27c

Computer solely for Video editing Pinnacle Studio Ulimate Collection 14 not HD material

Need any more info ? Cheers

I'm not convinced that you need to run your machine with turbo and afterburners! You could reduce the clock rates for the graphics card which will dramatically reduce the temperature and also, select a power-saving or mixed mode setting for the cpu. Does Pinnacle use all the cores?

niccam

Standard Member
I'm not convinced that you need to run your machine with turbo and afterburners! You could reduce the clock rates for the graphics card which will dramatically reduce the temperature and also, select a power-saving or mixed mode setting for the cpu. Does Pinnacle use all the cores?

Hi reeve1987 and spyder viewer.
reeve1987 the computer is brand new so dont want to mess with the heatsink just yet was hoping for to either to add good extra fans in and out and if there was any settings which might help

spyder viewer I know a little bit about computers but not enough to change clock speeds for the graphics card plus what do you mean by select a power-saving or mixed mode setting for the cpu not sure if Pinnacle is using the 4 cores How can I check
Again thanks for your interest.

PS. was editing for about 3hours tonight and it sat at a steady GPU 60c

Last edited:
then i would check what size fans your system uses, probably 120mm or larger. then replace them with higher power fans.

also! you can get pci exhuast fans, placing one of these in a pci slot directly below or above the gpu will help remove the heat.

either above or below because these exhaust fans have a hole in the side where the draw air in the shove it out through the pci slot part.

so if onc its installed the hole is on the top of the exhaust, its best to place it under the gpu.

hope that makes sence, but in essence it will be grabbing the hot air as it comes off the gpu and sending it straight out of the pc. as a result will be drawing coller air over the gpu board.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom