1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chilpillphil3, May 1, 2004.

1. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im building an all round high spec computer in the next couple of months, probably not untill july.

I have a couple of questions and would be greatful if someone could answer them, I have build computers before but i relise they are always changing,

Well im looking at getting a AMD athlon 3400 or simular, how do you set up a fan that speeds up when the speed of the computer increses, i need to be able to sleep while its on and would feel better if the fans could adjust speed automaticly due to the tempreture?

I hear there is a new form of graphics card comming out, i will make sure i get this, it needs to be a high spec pc to last a while, Are there any other features i need to look for on the motherboard?

Like i said before i really want this pc for high spec gaming for a good 2-3 years

Oh and finally Whats this about Athlon 64bit cpus?

Thanks alot

Andrew

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,596
    The motherboard can control the speed of the fan, check for this feature when choosing your motherboard.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I'd wait and see what's available around July time. There are lots of new bits of kit coming out in the next few months. The next generation of graphics cards from both ATI and Nvidia will be out in two flavours one with agp and the other will probably have the new pci express format which will need a new type of motherboard.Both cards are meant to be very current hungry and a 450w psu is rumoured to be required.
    A new format of motherboard is also iminent (btx iirc)which will need a new case etc as the current ones don't cater for it.
    My pc is still fairly high end but I'm itching to see whats going to be available too.

The next few months are going to be quite interesting for pc enthusiasts:)

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I see 2 choices.

1st
    Spend a small amount now on a AMD/nforce2 setup (ie Barton 2500+/256mb RAM/9600XT) - this will provide good performance and overclockability (if thats your thing) and will allow you to play any game.

2nd
    Wait until the end of the year when a number of big advances have taken place....

Athlon 64 mobos utilising the new Nforce3 250 chipset (should be very stable by then)
    PCI Express - new GFX cards will be available to fit this.
    BTX form factor mobo designs.

All very exciting stuff coming by the end of the year.

5. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okj thanks, ive read all your replys.

Im looking at building a pc for the time being then changing the mobo and chip in a good few months

I think im going for an amd duron 1800 + cheap mobo +256 mb ram, then get a case and use my currrent hard drive

then i can ditch the mobo chip and ram later,

is ebuyer the best place to buy from, i have bought many many thing from them in the past and am happy with there customer service.

once again many thanks

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198