computer newbie please help

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by angelwows, Aug 2, 2018.

1. angelwows

angelwows
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i brought my son a computer and he is moaning at me because he cant play a game and it keeps saying unsupported os when he trys to download it ... i have a amd phenom (tm) 8450 triple core processor 2.10ghz.. 3 gb installed ram ...32 bit operating system x64 bit based processor .. so my question is what and how can this be changed to a 64 bit and more ram ...any suggestions on what i need to do to change this to more ram and a 64 bit im running on a windows 10 pro?

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    What game in question is it ?

Steam is the main PC gaming service, are you using that as it should auto install the correct version of a game. Some games are 64-bit only now.

Unfortunately to change Windows over from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean re-install of Windows which will erase everything.
    1) Backup any data important you don't want erased to external drive.
    2) Locate the Windows 10 product key that came with the PC, write it down.
    3) Download the Windows 10 USB installer & plugin a USB flash drive.
    4) Run the installer and when it gets to the screen to pick architecture select 64-bit.
    5) Boot PC from USB flash drive and run Windows setup, choose custom install to erase the HDD, this will install 64-bit version, it will ask for product key during this phase.
    6) If all goes well and your at the Windows desktop, click the start menu, settings (cog icon), go to update and security, select check for updates let Windows install all the drivers it need to set the system up.

See this guide for installing Windows it has step by step pictures.

If you are using Steam, all save data is stored in Steam cloud servers so you just download the game again from Steam library but any data outside of that should be backed up if it's important.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    You've bought a ten year old computer, so there will be plenty of things that it's simply too old or slow to run.

Which game is it and does the error message have any more details? If you're trying to run an older game unsupported OS may mean it doesn't recognise windows 10, if it's a newer game then it may be the 32-bit install as you suggest.

Steam is a horrible piece of adware so I'd install it whenever possible and stick to other shops, but unfortunately some developers only offer their games through that company. It generally won't affect compatibility though.

If you need more memory it would be a case of physically buying it and installing it. It would be DDR2 DIMMs.