Computer monitor & Sky box black screen

adamCCC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm trying to connect my computer monitor to my sky box but all im getting is a black screen. Green light on monitor is constantly on so its receiving some sort of signal.

Monitor is a 24" BenQ G2420HDBL. Using a dvi to hdmi cable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Computer monitors usually don't support broadcast video frame rates (25/30 frames per second).
They normally support 50/60/75 frames per second so that wouldn't work.

Thanks for the reply.

Lots of people online reporting no problems connecting their computer monitors to sky :( guess mine isnt compatible

It varies from one model to another.
Unfortunately the user manual for that monitor is hard to find.

new development.. ive worked out that if i have all the leads connected up, then unplug and plug in the sky box, I get the "SKY +" welcome message on the monitor, but soon changed to a blank screen.

It as though it only receives an action connection at the point it is turned on.

After the sky box is turned on, and the 'Sky +' message disappears, by default the box goes into standby mode. It is at this point the monitor seems to lose connection. When I then turn the sky box on via the remote, nothing happens.

Most set top boxes including Sky use Linux so that will be Linux going through the normal boot process and looking for a monitor including normal monitor frame rates.
In standby just about everything is still running so boot up only happens when power is applied.

it doing my head in now! the only time i get can a picture is when replugging in the sky box :?

It's simple. You need a display that supports 25Hz frame rate to watch content.

right, it works on the sky overlay i.e. if tv guide is up, or the settings menu etc etc.

as soon as i put a channel or a recording on, it cuts out back to a black screen

Not if you want to use a Sky box or just about any set top box.

this doesn;t explain why it wont turn back on to the TV guide screen?

50hz interlaced which is 25 full frames per second.
Subject closed, you need a TV plus the display needs to support HDCP.
Get a TV.

The display does support HDCP.

And I have a TV.. no need to be so abrupt.

Thanks for replying.

Just a little update.. I got it working.

Had to change the resolution settings in sky settings to 720p, and it now works.

So subject wasn't closed, you just didn't know the answer!

Have you tried changing the video output of the Sky box? In "Services" "Settings" "Picture" -- HD resolution has 4 options - 576, 720p, 1080i and automatic. I suggest trying 576 first.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom