1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer makes sound as if rebooting

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by HMHB, Jul 30, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Very occasionally my computer sounds like it's rebooting - but it isn't ! It can happen at any time whilst I'm using it, the tone of the fans changes and you get the beep you normally get when the computer is booting up, but nothing is actually happening. Any ideas what this could be ?

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    very rough guess John, temperature related, hence the beep? Have you got SANDRA or something like that you can monitor the CPU temperature?

I may well be talking poop though :suicide: :D

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    No I haven't got Sandra, I assume it's available for a free download so I'll give it a try. Thanks.

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    At the moment it reads:-
    Temperature Sensor(s)
    Board Temperature : 41.0°C / 105.8°F
    CPU Temperature : 38.0°C / 100.4°F td
    The CPU is a retail P4 2.53Mhz so the fan came already fitted. Are these temperatures as they should be ?

As an aside it tells me that my RAM is holding back the performance of the system, but I've got Crucial PC2700 RAM fitted and as far as I know the SR7-8X motherboard will not take faster RAM.
    Another worrying thing is that it's saying that my network is far less than it should be:-
    Average Latency : 201µs
    Min/Max Latency : 178µs / 376µs
    Speed : 9566kB/s (78365kbit/s)
    The on-board NIC is a 10/100 and the router shows that it's running at 100. Is there any way I can test the network speed myself ?

6. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you just upgrade the computer with new hardware like CPU, motherboard, memory, drives, etc, while keeping the old power supply? If so I would consider your power supply not being up to the task.

I recently rebuilt my PC and installed a new motherboard, CPU, ram, and the existing power supply gave quite a few BIOS problems even though it booted into Windows no problem and ran stable. Some examples were when I would turn it on it would give an extra short beep prior to the normal bootup beep and if I were to do some intensive work an immediately restart Windows it would not boot up. The power supply, which was a high quality one, simply could not handle the extra power needed. I then replaced the power supply with a top rated much stronger one and all the problems disappeared. :thumbsup:

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    It's housed in an Antec PLUS660 which has a 330w ATX12V TruePower power supply. I have added a few bits in since the original build. There's a 2nd hard disk a DVD-RW a firewire card and a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra (although I'm sure it was doing it before the graphics card was added).