1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer issue, really odd...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Braedan, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am new here, though i showed up thanks to the "drowned PC" thread. i'm here from spacebattles.com

i'm heavy into computer gaming and networking, and have been working with comps for the last 11 years.

as for the problem...

3 days ago i decided to reload my primary machine after 13 months of pretty much troublefree uptime.

this machine's been reloaded twice before thanks to a hacker attack which took out the HDD and NIC.

i reformatted and reloaded the machine with a clean install of win2k pro (same OS as previously) and right away i noticed the mouse would lag out when i'd open a window or do something in a program... after i installed the sound drivers i quickly realized i had something really wrong, the sound would skip, stutter and periodically have odd sounds (including sounding just "not right" most of the time anyway), so i tried updated sound drivers, no help. even tried updated service packs for the OS. no help. so i reloaded again that night after reparitioning the drive thinking that was the problem.

same thing is still happening. and this was a machine which prior had not problems other than being really buggy with replaying video and having a major glitch with a video game (said it was below minimum requirements when the machine is well over the recommended)

mind you, i'm running a 4 system win2k network, the other machines are all varying hardware configs, mostly comprised of assorted hardware i got for free, yet they are not having these problems.

system specs as follows:

machine: gateway select 1100 (modded)
    proc: AMD athlon t-bird 1100
    ram: 640mb pc133 SDRAM
    vid: nvidia GeForce2 GTS/Pro
    HDD: maxtor 40gb ATA-100
    sound: SBlive
    HDD controller: promise ultra100 PCI
    modem: generic
    NIC: intel 10/100 PCI
    cd-rom: hitachi 8x/32x DVD-rom
    burner: iomega 8x4x32 cd/rw

the problems in question were not present with the previous load.

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite honestly and without actually seeing the PC, I would guess that there is a problem with the Hard drive.

Please bear in mind that this is only an educated guess though. There is a piece of software called "PCCheck" which you can buy for about £30 (I think).

This will do a complete diagnostic of the hardware in your system and tell you any faults you may have.

Hope this helps.

3. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pretty much what the gateway bunch said, HDD or mobo... at this point i just said "F*** IT!" and am taking it in tomorrow. #2's up and running fine in it's place.

btw, thanks for the advice.

specs for #2:

basic configuration: anything i could cram in/hybrid
    proc: AMD athlon-1 (slot A) 500/512k
    ram: 640mb PC133 (512 taken from the main system)
    HDD1: WD 20.5GB (IDE)
    HDD2: IBM 4.7gb SCSI-2-SE prototype drive
    HDD3: IBM 18.2gb SCSI LVD/SE prototype drive
    cdrom: hitachi 8x32 DVD rom (removed from main system)
    other: IDE ZIP100 internal
    sound: trash onboard codec
    vid: GeForce2 MX400 64MB
    mobo: ASUS K7V
    NIC: intel 10/100
    case: let's not go there shall we? i'll post a pic later.

the problem with the main system really torks me off...

4. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh how nice it must be to have spare PCs sat around . . .

Please let us know how you get on.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    You could look at the IRQ assignments. I had major problems with stutter on my PC and checked XPs allocation of resources and found it had chucked the network card/ graphics card and sound card all on the same IRQ.

Solution for me was to turn off ACPI and assign everything manually. Of course this has the annoying consequence of not being able to use the soft power down properly :(

Stoopid windoze!!!

6. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    took the machine into the shop. the results were these:

major cause: updated promise ultra100 controller driver does not perform as well, downgrade.

secondary cause: creative software junk all over the comp, turns out this makes it run really badly

other possible factor(s): 6 boot records on the drive, low level format the drive.

yes, it came back to me in the same condition it went in as i was equally qualified to service the machine as the gheyway bunch were, but i did get some kickass software for free including a bunch of diagnostic proggies and a copy of roxio ez ce creator...(fixed the 4x max burn speed problem the iomega burners have)

7. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

been there, done that... had a machine that i HAD to configure all the stuff manually and it did the annoying thing of not automatically shutting down...

btw, as for the IRQ problem, all 3 of my win2k machines have the sound, vid, NIC, USB, modem (if present), and a number of other hardware devices all on IRQ 9... can't change it, but they machines run perfectly... XP may have something wrong with IRQ routing... or the mainboard's IRQ routing driver wasn't installed (or not installed properly)

8. iputerfixer

iputerfixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IRQ 9 is the cascading IRQ if I remember right, it actually directs them to the higher interupts.
    Win2000 is a champion with the IRQ steering, but it wouldn't hurt if you took out the interupt for vga and lost one to the unused serial port if you can.
    It does sound like interupt problems.
    Dude, think about it, it's a Gateway. Build a real system yourself.
    Start with an Asus board and go like heck.
    That's all I use anymore. And the AMD proc.
    That is a system.

9. Braedan

Braedan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it is modified...

i am building a new comp anyway.