Computer hooked to TV, use DVI or VGA?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by squale, Jan 5, 2007.

1. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a new 50" Samsung 1080p DLP tv and I have it hooked up to my Windows Media Center 2005 pc. The computer's video card has both VGA and DVI outputs. The tv has a vga computer input and also has two HDMI inputs. Right now I just have the computer hooked to the tv using VGA cable. But I have the option of going DVI out of the computer to HDMI into the tv to keep a pure digital connection. Does anybody think it's worth buying a DVI to HDMI cable to do this? I think my VGA cable is able to run 1080p through it anyhow, so I don't see a real benefit of going DVI-HDMI.. I think the picture quality will be the same...

any opinions on this?

as a side question, can Component Video cables handle 1080p?

Thanks everybody!

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Stick with VGA, you'll get overscan with HDMI

3. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what does overscan mean?

and does VGA have the same resolutions as DVI/HDMI? most notably can the VGA output full 1080p resolution? I know my computer's video card setting goes up to 1920x1080 and even higher than this. I just don't know if the VGA cable is capable of handling this. I have heard that you need DVI/HDMI for real 1080p...

Thanks!

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
  5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    VGA port capabilites vary from model to model (as do DVI and HDMI port capabilities).
    Your display's manual should tell which resolutions are suported - or you could evn suck it and see.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

6. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    then why do salespeople, etc. all tell you dvi/hdmi is the best connection for a computer to a tv?

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    1) They don't know better.

2) In theory using DVI or HDMI should be better as there is less digital to analogue and analogue to digital conversion in the signal chain.
    In practice, very few people notice any difference.
    This could change as the technology, signal processing and general transmission quality improves over time.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

8. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the tv says it can handle 1080p over vga input. So anyhow I downloaded some WMV-HD trailers off the microsoft website and I played them through the computer set at 1920x1080 resolution on the tv screen. It looked amazing. So then I downloaded the same clips in 720p and I changed my computers resolution to 1280x720 and played the clips on the tv. I really couldn't notice any difference in the picture quality. The picture quality looks so good I don't know if my eyes can tell the additional 360 lines of the 1080p.

9. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and talking about overscan, well when I hook my computer to my tv via vga, there is about a 1.5inch black border around all four sides of the picture. So the computer screen does fill the entire tv all the way to the furthest edges, it leaves this 1.5" black border.

Is that considered overscan? do you know why it's doing this? would using a dvi connection from the computer into the tv fix this?

10. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    sorry to raise an old thread but if VGA is the way to go, why does VGA look less sharp that DVI when using it on your PC?

This is VGA to VGA and DVI to DVI

11. sledwich

sledwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I would guess that its down to how the monitor deals with analog or digital signals. If the connection is DVI then I have found that most screens display this well for the obvious reason that there is very little noise in a pure digital connection but its can look cold and harsh on a TV.

Personally I would always suggest the suck it and see approach, beauty in the eye and all that, try them both and see what works best for you.