• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Computer Help Needed Please - Virus/Malware?

aj2009

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop, I believe I may have a virus or malware on it, but don't know how to get rid of it? :S

I went on to google yesterday and typed something in the search field and it came up with the results, although when i clicked on the result it took me to a completely random site. I tried this with a number of google searches and the exact same thing happened.

E.g I would type in Nike into google and even though nike.com was the first result. Upon clicking it, I would be taken to some completely random site with random search results.

As soon as this happened, I did a virus scan using Avira and a malware scan using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I removed all the things that the programmes asked me to, but I am still having the same problem when I do google searches.

Has anyone got any idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong section. :suicide:

EDIT - I'm not sure how I could've got a virus or malware on my laptop, as I only visit a handful of websites on a daily basis and have done so for the last few years :s

hanshix

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop, I believe I may have a virus or malware on it, but don't know how to get rid of it? :S

I went on to google yesterday and typed something in the search field and it came up with the results, although when i clicked on the result it took me to a completely random site. I tried this with a number of google searches and the exact same thing happened.

E.g I would type in Nike into google and even though nike.com was the first result. Upon clicking it, I would be taken to some completely random site with random search results.

As soon as this happened, I did a virus scan using Avira and a malware scan using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I removed all the things that the programmes asked me to, but I am still having the same problem when I do google searches.

Has anyone got any idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong section. :suicide:

EDIT - I'm not sure how I could've got a virus or malware on my laptop, as I only visit a handful of websites on a daily basis and have done so for the last few years :s

It's a safebet for you to just keep trying different programs until one manages to remove the software. I would recommend Spybot S&D and if you have the money buy Norton ISP 2009 (I got it for around £20ish) and use the free upgrade to ISP 2010.

Best of luck!

aj2009

Standard Member
It's a safebet for you to just keep trying different programs until one manages to remove the software. I would recommend Spybot S&D and if you have the money buy Norton ISP 2009 (I got it for around £20ish) and use the free upgrade to ISP 2010.

Best of luck!

Thanks pal, will bare that in mind. I used to have Norton but it used to make my computer run really slow, so i opted for avira and its been ok till now. :S

Just hoping, someone knows how to get rid of it...:D

Last edited:

Empwan

I would leave the likesof Norton and McAfee to those with supercomputers, as they are resource hogs. Malwarebytes is a fantastic bit of software, and it would probably find almost malware/virus. NOD32 from ESET is good antivirus, but I don't know if you'll gain anything by replacing your antivirus program with it as I haven't used Avira.
Have you got WOT installed? It's called Web Of Trust, it works on giving different coloured rings on how safe other users have voted it.
Are you using the "sponsored" links, I don't trust them at all.
Are you using IE? Firefox?

aj2009

Standard Member
I would leave the likesof Norton and McAfee to those with supercomputers, as they are resource hogs. Malwarebytes is a fantastic bit of software, and it would probably find almost malware/virus. NOD32 from ESET is good antivirus, but I don't know if you'll gain anything by replacing your antivirus program with it as I haven't used Avira.
Have you got WOT installed? It's called Web Of Trust, it works on giving different coloured rings on how safe other users have voted it.

Avira is really good, it was a recommendation from my flatmate and hes never had any problems with it.

Sponsored links?

I'm using IE bud, can't really get used to firefox. :facepalm:

dc8900

Distinguished Member

Previous editions yes, but Norton 2010 is pretty resource light, I had it operating on a 2006 Dell and it running as fast if the Norton wasn't installed. If you do go for Norton, go from 2010 as earlier editions were resource heavy

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Let's try and find out a bit more about the problem. You say that when you put a search request into Google it apears to behave normally but when you click on a link it goes to the wrong destination. Put something into google. Don't click on a link: just let your mouse pointer hover over the link. What does it say down in the bar at the bottom LH corner? Is it the link you've selected or something else or something that's half and half?

aj2009

Standard Member
Let's try and find out a bit more about the problem. You say that when you put a search request into Google it apears to behave normally but when you click on a link it goes to the wrong destination. Put something into google. Don't click on a link: just let your mouse pointer hover over the link. What does it say down in the bar at the bottom LH corner? Is it the link you've selected or something else or something that's half and half?

Hi mate,

For example i've tried to search nike. When i hover over the first result which is nike.com, in the bottom LH corner it has the normal it says the normal www.nike.com etc.., but when i clicked on the link it takes me to the following site: http://results2.google.com/

I hope that helps? :confused:

I'd recomend you give yourself a Trend Micro Housecall

This facility is brilliant and Trend are leaders in this kind of market.

They say:

HouseCall is Trend Micro™s highly popular and capable on-demand scanner for identifying and removing viruses, Trojans, worms, unwanted browser plugins, and other malware.

Getting Started with HouseCall

Click Download HouseCall 7.1 to begin. Please note that HouseCall requires a small download before it can scan your computer.

You can also choose to save a copy of the launcher (HousecallLauncher.exe) and use it to quickly launch HouseCall, should you need to use it again in the future. Remember to visit this page occasionally to get the latest copy of the launcher.
It is recommended that first-time users select the Quick Scan option, which is available in addition to the Full Scan or Folder Scan options.

When you've done the above and for regular use:

Go into the PC in Safe Mode. (Press F8 when the machine is booting up)
You will get a few options.
Choose 'Safe Mode with Networking'.

Download and install Super AntiSpyware Free Edition from

SUPERAntiSpyware.com

It shouldn't be necessary to update it, if you download it from this web site because these guys are the inventors of the facility.

Run a full scan.
Reboot into Normal mode.
Should be sorted.

Finally, I would suggest you strongly consider using this program (the 'Pro' version) as your main AV software and set it up to run in the background to give you protection from web site nasties when you are browsing and e-mail nasties too, as and when they come in. Actually, the FREE and the PRO versions are exactly the same. It's just that you have to scan manually with the FREE but you can set up the PRO to do it regularly and automatically. For a little bit extra you can purchase two licenses for it and use one on another desktop machine or a laptop.

Try using the code 'FRIEND' to get yourself a discount.

SAS updates several times per week and thus your protection is very, very, up to date. It's also not too sexpensive. It's one of the best on the market IMHO.

Last edited:

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
I know it sounds thin but my friend had this problem on his laptop and I fixed it and didn't pay much attention to what i did!

Do some more investigating for me (it's my way of stalling you while my brain plays catch-up)!

Click on explorer/tools/internet options/search-settings

select Google. In the details box does it just say "http://google.com/search etc" or does it say something else. If something else, delete it and re-add google as a search provider. Set it as default and tick the box where it says words to the effect of don't let any sucker mess with my settings.

I'll keep searching. I don't think this is a virus: I think it is a hijack.

aliEnRIK

Please open malwarebytes, goto LOGS and post the WHOLE of the log

then ~
reboot

Download HIJACK THIS (Make sure you click 'DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION')
Download HijackThis 2.0.3 Beta - FileHippo.com
Click MAIN MENU then DO A SYSTEM SCAN AND SAVE A LOGFILE(Takes seconds) then post the log so we can see whats running
(do NOT do anything else with Hijack but scan and post the FULL log)

and to hopefully sort out the redirects ~
Download HostsXpert
Redirecting to correct download page...
and then follow the below steps.

* Unzip HostsXpert.zip
* It will create a folder named HostsXpert in whatever folder you extract it to.
* Run HostsXpert.exe by double clicking on it.
* click the Make Writeable? button.
* click Restore Microsoft's Hosts File and then click OK.
* Click the X to exit the program

Megahertz

Banned
I had this virus on a work PC, and it was a nightmare to get rid of. I tried all of the main antivirus, as well as the online one (Trust Housecall.)

In the end I had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall - it was a real pain, but sometimes that is the only way to be sure you've got rid of it!

It's a really nasty piece of code which presents completely different sites to the one that you searced for. When I tried to find my own site I ended up on a completely different site - still about PAT testing, but run by one of my competitors!

I run a commercial website and have oftened considered ways to get more traffic - some sites promise to deliver so many visitors to your site in exchange for a fee. I suspect that whoever has produced this virus is either selling the traffic, or using it for some other dubious means!

Good luck getting rid of it, although I would suggest that you 'bite the bullet' back up your important files, and set aside a few hours to wipe your hard drive and start again!

Last edited by a moderator:

aj2009

Standard Member
Thanks for all your help guys, have skimmed over your posts but will read them properly when i get a break from revising for my exams. :thumbsup:

dacads

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, I tried all AV Progeams etc to no avail, so I posted at the tech support forum malware section and one of the experts guided me through the removal procedure and I'm clean now:smashin: So yeah it's a matter of scanning, posting logs, experts analyze, tell you what to do etc..alienrik guy above seems to know what to do so follow his steps ;)

But yeah before you go elsewhere run the following programs :rotfl:
Malwarebytes.org
SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom