Answered Computer Fuzzy Screen Help please?

LilFairy

Novice Member
Hi,
I have a desktop computer that's 4 years old already. Lately whenever I used the computer or if I only put it to sleep at night I would have a problem starting it up or have a fuzzy screen. Initially I thought it was because I had it on for too long and now especially since I don't use it as often anymore due to me using my iPad I always switch it off after I've used it. Never have it on for two long. But every time it either just switches off or I get the following screens (pics attached) and sometimes refuses to power up again.

I cannot remember the specifics of the machine but I've just started an AAT course and need to use my computer more often. I don't have money to buy a new one but have limited money to possibly fix the current one. Is this fixable.

NB: The first 2 pics is how it starts and the 3rd one is what it looked like before it powered off.

Thank in advance

Jess.

Attachments

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
A faulty graphics chip would be a leading candidate. If it's a seperate graphics card you may be able to take it out and either use the onboard graphics or replace it.

LilFairy

Novice Member
Thank you. Will have to see what I can do as I just had to go and pick my sick 8 year old up from school. So limited to opening up the machine.

MacrosTheBlack

If it's a add on graphics card, connected to a PCI-E slot, then often these can get knocked and cause problems. Completely remove and re-seat the card. Dust the pc out too if it needs it, before putting the card back in, use an air duster can and a soft clean brush to dislodge dust build up.

If the graphics are built into the motherboard you could buy a basic HD replacement graphics card for about £18 and try that instead.

Also have you unplugged the cables from the monitor and the pc and replugged them in case they aren't fully in at one end. Ideally test with another cable if you have one too.

LilFairy

Novice Member
Thanks for the responses. I've managed to buy a new Nvidia GeForce GT610 graphics card and been trying for quite a few hours to get it to work.

I've installed it in the free PCI slot and started the computer but the computer didn't recognise the new graphics card just the onboard one. I then stupidly changed the startup via Bios setting to look for the graphics card first because after several attempts it just didn't pick it up.
After that the computer refuse to boot up and all I can hear is the fan and it refused to restart after I removed the graphics card. After some googling I resetted the CMOS and tried again first with graphics card removed and I managed to get onto my computer.
I powered off and installed graphics card again and now just the sound of the fan with nothing on my screen at all.

PLEASE HELP.

LilFairy

Novice Member
So I've managed to get my computer to reboot but only with onboard graphics. The new one is plugged in but I cannot pick it up. When I go into my disk to run it it says to install VGA card of Asus. I'm too scared to mess with the BIOS again please help.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Have you connected the screen to the graphics card? Adding a card will often disable the integrated graphics so leaving the video cable connected to the motherboard will produce a black screen.

What do you mean when you say you can't pick it up?

LilFairy

Novice Member
I meant that I cannot see my new graphics card in device management.

Also if I do plug the monitor into the new card nothing comes up on the screen. At least this time it's now booted up but it's not displaying anything on screen

LilFairy

Novice Member
So yes I basically now have a black screen when plugged into the new card but from the computer noise it looks like it's booted up fine.

LilFairy

Novice Member
This is what I get. Why isn't my Nvidea card showing here? Even after I disable it my resolution changes but I still can't pick up graphics card.

Attachments

MacrosTheBlack

Have you plugged it into the right slot? PCI-E slot, normally a single short slot on the motherboard (see pic below)...

MB.jpg

Why not take some photos of your motherboard, the card and the monitor cables you have? Along with makes and model details of pc and card and we can advise you better.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Have you plugged it into the right slot? PCI-E slot, normally a single short slot on the motherboard (see pic below)...
They're keyed differently, as long as it's fully in the slot (the bracket is level with the others) then it's in an appropriate one.

So yes I basically now have a black screen when plugged into the new card but from the computer noise it looks like it's booted up fine.
I wonder if the slot is problematic rather than the card. Is it completely dead if you put the other card back in?

MacrosTheBlack

They're keyed differently, as long as it's fully in the slot (the bracket is level with the others) then it's in an appropriate one.

I wonder if the slot is problematic rather than the card. Is it completely dead if you put the other card back in?
True, but sometime people manage to jam cards in the wrong place!

Doubt the slots bad as I believe there was no card there before. Originally using onboard graphics output.

John7

Does the GPU require power connections, if so, have you connected them?

Edit: Ignore me, I just checked online, it doesn't need additional power.

Last edited:

LilFairy

Novice Member

View attachment 672628

Why not take some photos of your motherboard, the card and the monitor cables you have? Along with makes and model details of pc and card and we can advise you better.

I've attached a picture of my motherboard with yeh card attached.

My computer details is as follows:
Zoostorm manufacturer
Intel (R) Core (TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93 GHz 2.93Ghz
6GB RAM with 5.86 usable
64 Bit operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service pack 1. ( I am going to try and install Windows 10 and see if it makes any difference)

The GPU is Nvidea GeForce GT 610

Attachments

MacrosTheBlack

A pic showing the bottom of the card (removed) and the empty motherboard slot would be handy. As would make and model of the motherboard. Saying it's a Zoolander doesn't help much. Bit like saying what engine goes in my Ford?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom