Computer Exchange (CEX) - Avoid Selling To Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildWayz

Established Member
Reaction score
I am posting this as a warning to others out there about using Computer Exchange (CEX)'s website to sell your phone.

On June 12th 2010 I went onto CeX : we buy and sell Games, DVDs, PC Hardware & Software, Phones and electronics online to find out how much my iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked) phone would cost and was quoted £361 as it was in mint condition and unlocked.

The phone was absolutely mint - not a single scratch, scuff or blemish on it. Headphones were unused and no marks on the box, internal packaging etc Not even a finger print on it.

Here is their definition of the conditions:
Mint - Working phone in as new/mint condition. Complete with original box and accessories as sold new.
Good - Working phone in good condition with slight cosmetic blemishes. Charger supplied. If the phone includes a music player/radio then it is supplied with headphones. If the phone has PDA functionality a sync cable and/or docking cradle is supplied. Missing original packaging.
Poor - Working phone in poor cosmetic condition. Original or 3rd party charger supplied but missing accessories and original packaging.

The quote I received was valid for 10 working days.

So I sent off the phone and confirmed they had received it it, which they did on June 17th 2010

from We Care <[email protected]>
to xxxxxx xxxxxxx <[email protected]>
date 17 June 2010 09:16
subject Re: Your Sell-to-CeX order ID: 3xxx89

Dear Customer,

I can confirm that we have received your item and it will be processed shortly. You should receive payment within 3 to 5 working days.

Regards,

Charlene
CeX Wecare Team
Buy Sell Donate
CeX (UK) Buy & Sell Games, Phones, DVDs, Blu-ray, Electronics, Computing, Vision & CDs

On June 21st I emailed them again to ask what the latest is with the order and to confirm that I will be getting the £361 deposited into my bank account as they have not emailed me any form of status update. Their reply was:

We Care <[email protected]>
to xxxxx xxxxxxx <[email protected]>
date 21 June 2010 15:56

Dear Customer,

I can confirm that you will be received £273.

Regards,

Charlene
CeX Wecare Team
Buy Sell Donate
CeX (UK) Buy & Sell Games, Phones, DVDs, Blu-ray, Electronics, Computing, Vision & CDs

My reply back was:
from xxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to We Care <[email protected]>
date 21 June 2010 16:04

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the email but I have an issue with it. How did you make
out the phone was it £273?
The quote was for a mint iPhone 3GS 32GB black and unlocked - £361 -
valid for 10 working days.

The phone was completely mint, boxed, unlocked. Please state your
justification by reducing the price by £88 and why you had not
contacted me to inform me that you were not honouring the price and if
I was OK in the price being reduced by such a huge amount.

Please contact me ASAP on xxxxxxxx.

Regards

And guess what their reply back was?
from We Care <[email protected]>
to xxxxxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
date 22 June 2010 10:04

Dear Customer,

I have checked your records and can see that during the testing procedure for your phone, small blemishes were found on the handset. Unfortunately we require that a grade A item be as new with no cosmetic damage, therefore your phone was regraded to a grade B.

Unfortunately in line with our terms and conditions we are able to regrade your item dependant on its condition upon receipt of your item, by sending your item to us you agree to our terms and conditions and we are therefore unable to contact you if we need to regrade your item.

Regards,

Charlene
CeX Wecare Team
Buy Sell Donate

My reply back was as follows:

from xxxxxxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxxxxxx>
to We Care <[email protected]>
date 22 June 2010 10:18

Please send me proof of the blemishes as the phone had not a single scratch on it or scuff. It has been kept in a protective case since I bought it 2 months ago and I have photos to prove the condition of the item.

It is convenient that you can re-grade the item so it can increase your profits.

If you are unable to provide the proof of the blemishes as well as prove it is my handset and not another persons one (provide imei), then I formally request the handset back as I refuse to accept your view of the condition.

If you do not either provide me with what was originally quoted, or return the handset, I will contact the Trading Standards and also a solicitor as this is obtaining sale by deception.

You have 7 days to provide the evidence of the blemishes, or to return the item before I take matters further.

Regards,

I also emailed the Founder, Robert Dudani - I have had no reply from either.

From looking around, it appears they like to conduct this kind of behaviour:
CeX Discussions | Facebook

I have emailed them the following this morning:
from xxxxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to We Care <[email protected]>,
[email protected]
date 30 June 2010 10:00

Dear Sir/Madam

As you have not credited me with the money you have obtained from me
by deception, returned the phone or provided me with proof of the
blemishes I am considering this as admittance that you willing are
deceive customers and over-valueing items then giving the customer
less without any evidence to prove your decision.

I am therefore going to post my dealings with your company on open
internet forums so other people can read and avoid your 'services'.

I will be posting this on a forum with 69,000 members
(The DVD Forums), another with 335,000 members
(AVForums.com : Free Home Electronics News, Reviews and Forums) and another with 698,000 members
(MoneySavingExpert.com Forums).
This means that over 1.1million customers will know to avoid using
your 'services' in future.

If you decide to pay me what I am owed, then I will follow up those
postings with a resolution, but as you and Robert Dudani have failed
to respond you have left me with no choice.

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxx
Sell-to-CeX order ID: 3xxx89

So my advice is to AVOID this company if you are wanting to sell your phone to them via the website as they WILL REGRADE YOUR PRICE TO THE LOWER TEIR to BOOST THEIR PROFITS

I have a good mind to get the IMEI blocked across all networks, but THAT would be dishonest.

So PLEASE think twice before using these cowboys.

It may be me missing something, forgive me if I am, but if it has two months use how can it be boxed as new?
Mint/as new, means in un-opened condition. Not used for two months and re-boxed.

No, as that would mean NEW/Unopened.

Mint is used to describe an item that is used but is of 'out of the box' condition - ie no marks, fully boxed with everything in it etc

In my experience Mint, means brand new in un-opened condition.

From a practical point of view, what does the Cex terms and conditions say about disputes as to the condition?

There is nothing in their T&C with regards to disputes - only mention is that they can re-grade it if they chose to.

'Mint' means an item is in the same condition as a new item. Whether it has been opened or used is irrelevant. Were it unopened and unused it would be classified as 'brand new'.

I would never sell a 'mint' item to CEX by mail becuase the process of receiving, unpackaging and examining it probably involves several different people and/or proceeses. It only requires one act of carelesssness to mark the handset which would tehn render the item 'good condition'.

Personally, I'd avoid using inflammatory language in these situations. Words like 'deception' are pretty strong unless you have proof. I'm not saying you're lying or that your grading is off but I have bought secndhand items described as 'mint' and on arrival they turn out otherwise. This can occur because people don't inspect their items carefully enough or are just reckless to the statements they make.

Last edited:
Certainly the dictionary definition of mint condition is "as it came from the factory".

In this case, there is a dispute as to the condition. As Cex aren't here to give their side of the story. I'm not sure there is much that can be discussed.

One thing I would say, is that if you do go down the legal route. Then you need to be very careful about what you say about the other party.

I would say 'mint' describes an item's conditon, not its status (for want of a better word). On the other hand, 'new' describes conditon and status. An item can't be new if it has been used regardless of its conditon.

I took a k800i in there once. It had litterally no marks on it at all and the guy wouldn't give me the mint condition money.

I walked out. They are in serious financial difficulty.

May I ask if it was in so good condition why you decided to go with them instead or eBay??

The reason why is that I took the average price on eBay (around £400) and when I take off ebay fees and paypal fees it would only be £363 - which is £2 more than CEX.
I thought CEX would be less likely to rip me off (foolish to believe!).

The reason why is that I took the average price on eBay (around £400) and when I take off ebay fees and paypal fees it would only be £363 - which is £2 more than CEX.
I thought CEX would be less likely to rip me off (foolish to believe!).

I have personally never had a problem with CEX, though i always prefer to go instore. I only use them when no one on the classifieds here is interested in what i am selling.

they used to grade items A, B, C and non working. an A grade phone would not have to be new or unopened just in really good nick with all the bits and bobs however now it is MINT i think maybe they are expecting pristine condition, used for a few days.

FWIW the classifieds are very active here and 32gb unlocked and mint 3gs usually go for around the £350 mark depending on warranty etc.

So your phone is in limbo at the moment?

Unlucky mate, hope it all works out for you!

michael

Aye - they have the phone, won't respond to emails.

I can get it IMEI barred as I am the owner with the receipt still and unbar it if they contact me - but debating if I should do this or not. At least it will force them to make contact with me.

I think you need to be a little cautious with your language. If it ever did come to legal action inflammatory words; threats to 'expose them' with an intent to harm their business and accusations will harm your case.
In these sorts of disputes its best to stick to a straightforward explanation of what happened, how you feel about it and what you want to happen.

@Wildwayz

I understand you are concerned. I may be Able to help, I work for Computer Exchange Ecommerce. I am in a position where I can chase information and potentially grant you closure. If you could be so kind as to provide me with your six digit order number you would have been assigned upon placing your original order for your Iphone 3GS 32gb to be sold I can look your information up for you.

Regards
QL

Hi QL - I don't really want to post the order number on here, but if you email me @ wildwayz at clara. co. uk then i'll happily supply it.

Thanks

There is no option to send you a PM :/ Plus I will need to confirm that you DO work for CEX :/

That's fine, the order number is unique to CEX anyway so without having our software it is basically useless...

I checked up on all your history. I spoke with the store manager who received your iphone personally and he reported that the iphone is a straight up grade B I am afraid. The kind of scratches that are present on the handset are what we call 'pocket scratches' not the kind of scratches that can be obtained in Ecommerce via human error, for example dropping it or putting pressure on the box its in would accumulate a deeper scratch or cosmetic distortion. a grade A phone is LITERALLY mint. if we put it under a Fluorescent light and see A tiny scratch.. its a B.

I personally know the Tester and the Store manager who have handled this item and Have absolute trust in them, however this is of course meaningless without your confidence in me.

Regards
QL

This defeats the whole point - I say it is mint and it IS mint - no scratches. I sent it to you - you downgraded it without telling me and basically said "tough".
I have asked for proof or for the phone to be returned to me.
I am still asking you for proof or for the phone to be returned to me.
You have obtained this phone for a price you deemed fit without my approval. I am not happy about the price and never have. As I said, the phone has always been in a protective case and there weren't any light scratches on it. It *IS* mint condition.

I am also still the legal owner of the handset as I never agreed to the sale of it for that price - therefore it has been imei-barred until the matter is resolved by either:
1) Paying me the £88 you owe
2) Providing high-resolution photos of the blemishes and display the IMEI number of the handset (*#06#).
3) Return the handset to me

I would also like an explaination as to why you have been ignoring my emails and not willing to resolve this issue.

As soon as I am happy with the resolution, I will lift the imei bar on the handset and post the resolution here.

And FYI - I have a team of people here who can vouch for the phone being in immaculate, as new, condition.

Last edited:
I am not here to defeat points, I am here to 'potentially grant you closure' meaning I am doing everything within my power to help you. I will acquire photographs of these 'blemishes' and negotiate the grade of the handset based on your individual experience with us.

Regards
QL

Sorry, but at the moment you aren't giving me closure. I never agreed to the sale. Your business practices of 'regrading without confirming' is actually illegal.
It's like going to buy a TV from a store which is marked up at £599, but you drop £299 on the floor and walk out with it. That price hasnt been agreed and it is essentially theft / deception.

Is it REALLY difficult to contact me to say "Sorry, but we feel it is worth £xxx.xx - it has these problems xxxxxxxxxxxx - we are offering you an update price of £xxx.xx - or we can return the handset to you".

By choosing not to do this, you are acting in a deceitful manor - because you KNOW that the phone is immaculate. Don't forget, I also have photos to prove it is immaculate - so don't try to scratch the phone to make it look scuffed other wise both sets of photos will be posted on here and documented.

Am I coming off as aggressive? Yes because CEX have ****ed me about.

Return the phone to me and let's put it behind us.

Also, why is everything so anonymous? Why are you not dealing with this via email / telephone? Why hide behind a username?

Last edited:
I understand you have been messed about, believe me. Nobody would scratch your phone intentionally, why would they contribute in such a negative way? none of them are personally responsible for this problem, it is the companies burden not theirs. We are working on changing things around here. I am contributing to these changes. I came onto this forum and joined this forum only to help you. I reached out to you outside of my usual job role, i didn't boy you off to another department or ignore your emails or letters. I am proactively trying to help you because I want to balance the morality of your Computer Exchange experience, I will receive no benefit for helping you in this matter so please try to understand I am on your side. Be patient and you with have your photos and your choices laid before you sooner than you think.

Regards
QL

Thanks - as I said, I am not mad at you - just the whole experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom