Computer editing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GroundhogDay, Jul 28, 2004.

1. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it might be fun to make a DVD of the best of some of the music concerts I've burned from the TV on my Panny. Rather than using the Panny again I'd like to use my PC.

Is TMPGenc DVD Author the best software to use? I'd like to be able to compile titles, edit selections and have an opening menue of the contents?

2. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS Does anyone know the best place to buy TMPGenc DVD author in the UK or is downloading an option for a dial up narrowband connection?

thanks

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    As far as I can remember the download is quite small anyway (but don't quote me on that!). If not you can buy the boxed version online although you'll need to upgrade to v1.6 online. The programme is made by a small Japanese company and it doesn't have distributors here in the UK :(

TMPG Enc Author isn't the best - but it IS one of the cheapest and the easiest which is why I wrote the guide for it (as opposed to an Ulead product for example). You can add chapters, add menus (animated or not), modify the menus, select Thumbnails (animated or not) and lots of other little things. You can certainly make very professional DVDs. Plus quite a few people have gone down this route on this forum and so there is a fair bit of support available if things all go wrong!

4. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm downloading it now 12.4mb, takes about an hour. 30 days trial then the cost is $68 dollars, not too bad if it gets used enough.

Your guide was a 'sticky' but is no more. Do you have a link to it, or web site? When I originally glanced at it I assumed it applied more to those with digital camcorders? (I don't have one - yet...) I guess it applies equally to editing these VOB file thingies that are on our DVDs and hard drives.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    It still is - at the top of this page!

6. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God, yes, so it is. Sorry, I was looking for a different header! Well there's a wealth of info in that to keep me going. I guess it rather went over my head first time around. The PC authoring option seems a good idea to get the finished DVD we want rather than what we are limited to with our recorders.

And yet another learning curve.

Thanks for the help.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I used to use TMPG DVD Author but recently upgraded to ULead DVD Workshop 2.0.
    TMPG is very good for the beginner and gives great results, but depending on how much you get into this DVD authoring lark then you'll quickly find it lacking in features and very restricting.

With Ulead you can do a lot more pro stuff like have mutliple audio tracks, commentary, subtitles etc and complete freedom with menus.

Also, TMPG enc (encoder/transcoder software) is a MUST have.
    I use this a hell of a lot these days and is one of the best codecs you can get for DVD video. Gives excellent results, much better than the built in ones you get with Pinnacle and ULead.

Well worth purchasing and recently made simple with a more user friendly version (3.0)

8. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried out the trial version of TMPGenc DVD author and it is simple to use. Only problem is that occassional (ripped) files hang when output with a 'file read error'. Don't know how common this is? Otherwise its a simple interface and a useful extension to the editing that can be done on the set top recorder. Still not sure how much I'd use it.....

Newbie question! When would you use this? When transerring home movies? Otherwise DVD Author seems to do the whole process (when there is no read error at any rate!).