Computer cycles on startup

spragger

Standard Member
On starting my desktop computer the HD cycles before producing the black start up screen. The green start up light cycles with it. When it does start after a while the computer restarts of its own making.

What can be causing that and anybody recommend a troubleshooting approach to isolate it?

I thought I had a problem with XP and I am trying to reload it but with this restart problem I cannot complete the XP reload.

DNWILLIAMS

Novice Member
On starting my desktop computer the HD cycles before producing the black start up screen. The green start up light cycles with it. When it does start after a while the computer restarts of its own making.

What can be causing that and anybody recommend a troubleshooting approach to isolate it?

I thought I had a problem with XP and I am trying to reload it but with this restart problem I cannot complete the XP reload.
Hi sorry to hear about your problems,
Here's a few things that might help, firstly make sure you have no USB devices connected (except mouse and keyboard if they're USB) and remove any non critical PCI cards, the next "usual suspect" is dodgy RAM, if you have two sticks of RAM try swapping them out 1 at a time RAM can just fall down on you so you get no warning you can get utilities that test the RAM but if you can't boot that's a bit of a problem :rolleyes: if this makes no difference you may have a problem with one of your other major components your hard drive, graphics card, power supply, processor (unlikely you wouldn't normally get past the POST screen) or motherboard, I'd expect to get a blue "stop" screen with the graphics card but not always.

If the first two options don't sort it out then I would methodically go through each component one by one, the problem with that is not everyone has loads of "spare bits". Oh and the real beauty with trying to diagnose problems like this is sometimes one dodgy component can affect another good one just adding to the confusion :suicide: it always amazes me how a machine designed to work logically can be so haphazard when trying to diagnose a break down :eek:

Best of luck :thumbsup:

spragger

Standard Member
Cheers sounds like a project for between Xmas and New Year!

I was having problems of the HD cycling and restarts for a long time

but last time it happened 2/3 yrs ago a reformat and reload of XP worked

I can boot so I am going to try a memtest when I get it onto a floppy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom