• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

computer and LCD's native res?

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I'm sure this has been covered in one of the dozens of topics here, and I do remember reading something about it a while back. But I'v just recently got my LCD - Hyundai A321.

And I would like to get my PC connected over VGA to run at the native res of 1366x768 -- I know there is a program out their but I can;t remember what it was, that lets you set the resolution.

I do not have a choice of any 16:9 res's so was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a FREE program or something that would enable me to do this.

thanks. :smashin:
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
To be honest I'm not sure. Its a fairly old PC - AMD Duron 1100Mhz, 184mb ram - lol i know, proper crap for todays standards :(

I amwaiting on the release of Vista before sorting out a new PC. Will see if I can find what I need from your link though

cheers. ;)
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
azirath said:
Try to download Powerstrip, there is a link to it from the wiki in my signature.

What video card do you?
Hey, I got it from the link in your sig, but I'm having some troubles.

I'm on my 32" LCD now typing this at 1024x768 - the image is streched but set the TV to 4:3 -- I went on powerstrip and the tab for "custom resolututions" is greyed out. Is there anyway around this?

Would really appreciate anybody's help.

Thanks.
 

RockySpieler

Active Member
Your graphics card (or on-board) may not be compatiable with powerstrip. Go to the entantech forums and read the faq.

You could try downloading the latest drivers for your graphics processor, these sometimes have more options.

Even with powerstrip the best you may get is 1360x768 with (hopefully) bands either side. But it is worth all the hassle, if 1024x768 is the only standard available option.

Some people browse at stretched 1024x768 via VGA and watch video via overscanned HDMI 720p.....luckily I get 1:1 native via DVI :D on my supermarket cheapie.
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
RockySpieler said:
Your graphics card (or on-board) may not be compatiable with powerstrip. Go to the entantech forums and read the faq.

You could try downloading the latest drivers for your graphics processor, these sometimes have more options.

Even with powerstrip the best you may get is 1360x768 with (hopefully) bands either side. But it is worth all the hassle, if 1024x768 is the only standard available option.

Some people browse at stretched 1024x768 via VGA and watch video via overscanned HDMI 720p.....luckily I get 1:1 native via DVI :D on my supermarket cheapie.
I had a good look inside the comp and its some crappy onboard thing. I took a GFX Card out of an old comp I was going to upgrade some months ago -- ATi Rage 128

Native res was not supported but I'v managed to get it working lovely on 1152 x 864 @60hz -- I do however have a slight problem which is really bothering me... Basically my video files I try watching are now out of sync (audio to slow for video or something).

Has anybody else come across this and is their some way I can tweak it to make it better?

Thanks. Very happy now its in WideScreen, just want my videos to play properly and all is lovely.

:smashin:
 

RockySpieler

Active Member
It could be the speed of your machine, are these SD avi type files, DVD files or HD files?

Reclock may help, your have to google it (or search these forums, I cannot find their home page just now) this tries to tie the video file and audio files together, but is of course another background process that could slow your PC down more.

Try using vlc (www.videolan.org) as your player, this is resource friendly.

The video source can be 24p, 25p, 50i, 60i, 59.94i/p etc so there can be sync issues when your pc runs at 60Hz.

I think there's an ap called AVIsync, try googling that one.
 

PAUL_M01

Standard Member
What Powerstrip settings are need to be used to get a A321 working at 1366x768?

I got my A321 yesterday, and i'm hoping to get my PC hooked up today
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
RockySpieler - Will check those out. The majority of the videos I play are .avi (xvid/divx) There not big files though. about 350mb for every 45mins.

PaulM01 - You can set it to whatever resolution you want. Your GFX card may not support it though like mine did not. But I'm not that fussy I just wanted a widescreen res.
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
RockySpieler said:
Try using vlc (www.videolan.org) as your player, this is resource friendly.
That does the job perfectly. Thanks alot :thumbsup: :rotfl:

EDIT - by the way is it better to have the hz set to something other than 60hz? I set it to 60 as I thought it was the more appropriate one with my 360 also running in 60 hz. but i dont know.lol
 

PAUL_M01

Standard Member
Got my PC runing at 1360x768.

Had to do a bit of fiddling round with ATI catalyst control centre, as this resolution wasn't available directly from display properties.

For some reason the A321 reports the resolution as 1280x768. So not sure if its working right!

When i change between 1280x768 and 1360x768 there is no diff in screen size.

Any ideas anyone?

Might have to give Powerstrip a try....
 

RockySpieler

Active Member
Waynej said:
.............by the way is it better to have the hz set to something other than 60hz? I set it to 60 as I thought it was the more appropriate one with my 360 also running in 60 hz. but i dont know.lol

I'm a fussy git, and I use powerstrip to have 50Hz and 48Hz custom native resolutions. I use ati standard 60hz for browsing, gaming, and NTSC material. For R2 DVD's and freeview tuner card I use 50Hz. For 24fps based material (including most of my HD) I use 48Hz. I have tried to get 59.94Hz using Powerstrip but it is unstable with my TV (some US shows are actually not 60Hz......just really close).

You may not notice any issues watching everything at 60Hz, but to me it doesn't look right especially on panning shots.
 
G

gt123

Guest
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought i'd add to this one. I was going to buy a Toshiba 27WL56, however the PC resolution in the manual is only 1024x768, whereas the screen resolution is 1280x720. Would it be possible for PC via VGA to appear at the full 1280x720? and also, how does 1024x768 fit on a screen of only 720 pixels in height?
 

RockySpieler

Active Member
gt123 said:
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought i'd add to this one. I was going to buy a Toshiba 27WL56, however the PC resolution in the manual is only 1024x768, whereas the screen resolution is 1280x720. Would it be possible for PC via VGA to appear at the full 1280x720? and also, how does 1024x768 fit on a screen of only 720 pixels in height?


That's a strange coincedense.............check out the other PC res thread.....I just finished typing a answer (well a answer via DVI anyhow).....spooky.

I will check if my mate has tried 1360x768 over VGA, DVI was good only slighthly stretched to fit TV screen width.
 

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Hmmm. For general browsing i find the 32" too big but I will still use it for watching downloaded videos.

However I have connected the PC to my 19" Acer which is natively 1440x900 (16:10)

I tried to set it at this res via. powerstrip and when i reboot it doesn't look as if its available in that slider thing to choose it.

Can someone tell me some common 16:10 res's for me to try please?

As it still looks a bit streched using 16:9.

Thanks again.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom