Compulsory Vaccinations

FatSam74

Novice Member
I don't agree. If parents aren't vaccinating their children, they need to look at the reasons why, rather than enforcing vaccination.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Parents who don't vaccinate their kids are usually ill informed and listen to the false stories about autism and other horrors, stories that are just not true. I totally agree that they are being selfish, as they are increasing the risks for vulnerable people - such as cancer sufferers and transplant patients who may not have the same level of protection against these diseases.

When you take into account the damage that mumps can do, failing to vaccinate is akin to child abuse and imho and it is right that the authorities act accordingly. I would support mandatory vaccination in the UK as well.

krish

Distinguished Member
Could be big public health problems in the US with Trump's anti-vaxxer stance and his appointment of Tom Price as health sec. Andrew Wakefield, who we struck off, has a huge following there, including some major celebrity endorsements.

AdrianMills

Could be big public health problems in the US with Trump's anti-vaxxer stance and his appointment of Tom Price as health sec. Andrew Wakefield, who we struck off, has a huge following there, including some major celebrity endorsements.

I've read it was just as bad, if not worse, in Oz, hence the legislation that requires vaccines to get child benefit. Damn good idea, they should bring that in everywhere as well as requiring vaccines to attend any school, preschool or nursery.

AdrianMills

France is on the way to making 11 vaccines compulsory too. :)

IronGiant

Without getting all political, I'd have thought that this was just the sort of thing our Political Masters in Brussels would be good at and perhaps would be better addressing themselves towards promoting Pan European vaccination programs than some of the things they get involved in. As you were... :)

VictoryGin1984

All the vaccination fear stems from one study way back when which claimed he link to autism. It was very poorly conducted, and the man responsible has since been struck off. It should never have been published.

VictoryGin1984

^^^ yep Andrew Wakefield ... now a hero of the US anti-vaxxer brigade (an odd mix of cretins from the alt-right and tree hugging quackery lovers), which includes Trump!

I think I'm correct in saying that Andrew Wakefield (or one of his colleagues on the study) had been beaten by another party to the patent for a combined vaccination. They then published this 'study' as a way to torpedo them.

Again, I could be wrong but I'm sure Wakefield's study only included 6 or 7 participants.

Since then, literally millions of children have been studied and no link between vaccinations and autism have been found.

AdrianMills

All the vaccination fear stems from one study way back when which claimed he link to autism. It was very poorly conducted, and the man responsible has since been struck off. It should never have been published.

Actually, generally, people are ignorant and distrust what they do not understand. Given that, it should come as no surprise that anti-vaxx wackadoodle nuts have been around as long as vaccinations; History of Anti-vaccination Movements | History of Vaccines

And yes, Mr Giant, the EU could be a power for real change wrt vaccinations if they put their collective will behind it. It's disappointing that they haven't.

VictoryGin1984

Actually, generally, people are ignorant and distrust what they do not understand. Given that, it should come as no surprise that anti-vaxx wackadoodle nuts have been around as long as vaccinations; History of Anti-vaccination Movements | History of Vaccines

And yes, Mr Giant, the EU could be a power for real change wrt vaccinations if they put their collective will behind it. It's disappointing that they haven't.

Interesting read, cheers for that.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
The protests are not about if the vaccines are dangerous or not though, its about the way the law is being imposed and the potential repurcussions for not vaccinating as well as how Glaxo may or may not be heavily involved in it.

The idea of doing the vaccinations in general does not seem to be in question from the parents.

Personally I cannot abide at all by anyone that believes the rubbish surrounding vaccinations. I can't even agree with anyone that says not vaccinating their child is their perogative, because its not, not doing so can endanger other peoples children and that for me is selfish and dangerous.

Don't want to vaccinate your kids? Don't let them ever leave the house either then because if your child passes something on to another child due to non vaccination and that child becomes ill and potentially even dies then that's on you

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
FYI I have a standing instruction for moderators of AVForums to remove posts which are anti-vaccination in nature. This is because science shows that vaccinations are overwhelmingly beneficial to the human race and having even small number of the population unvaccinated is a significant danger to other people.
One more time: Vaccine refusal endangers everyone, not just the unvaccinated
While I respect the right for people to believe whatever whacky, easily refutable sh*t they like (and I'm continually amazed and frustrated that so many people do), I refuse to allow the dissemination of dangerous anti-vaxer nonsense here.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I'm not usually into censorship on that scale but in this subject I wholeheartedly agree with the action

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
19958948_1625776010814121_2144714647487690538_n.png

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I think 200 minutes is probably overstating the amount of research done by most anti vaxxers to be honest.

krish

Distinguished Member
Oh dear, Anna Watson of antivaxxers Arnica was just on Radio 5 live in a discussion about mandatory vaccination. The rational medical professional, Prof Helen Bedford of UCL Institute of Child Health, argues against mandatory vaccination because our uptake is one of the highest in the world, and compelling parents could have a detrimental effect, furthermore many who don't go for vaccination are usually the type that can afford to pay fines. Most if not all parents phoning in were in favour of vaccination. Host Nihal's twitter is taking complaints over giving that wacko a platform. The discussion, which just ended, was from 1-2pm @ BBC Radio 5 live - Afternoon Edition, 19/09/2017 - will be streaming on demand.
5livevax.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts