1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compromises of goin from crt to rptv help wanted

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SILVERBACK, Aug 5, 2002.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    could anyone give me a list or a description on the biggest problems or positives from going from crt to rptv.i really would like help on this subject as i have my heart set on a nice toshiba 42 inch rptv.i just dont wanna make a mistake an be stuck with it once i have it.besides i cant hold on much longer i have the urge to spend on something lol:D

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I went from CRT to Toshiba RPTV and can honestly say I can't think of any negatives nor can I think of a reason to go back to CRT. Once set up properly, the picture quality, at least to my eyes, is much better than the CRT I had previously. It's great for digital TV and DVD viewing. In fact the only thing I'll do differently next time is go for one without built in Dolby Digital as I now have a seperate amp.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    cheers mate i thought you might reply as you did to my last post about the sitting distance lol.thanks again for the help oh yeah how was the convergence setup on your set mate.i never did one before and i know the tosh sets have no auto settings all manual.so hwo did you find it yourself an what does it entail exactly.sorry for being a pain but i like to have all the bases coveredbefore i buy :D

4. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Tosh 42WT29 owner here.

I wouldn't want to watch my DVDs on a CRT now that i've watched them on my RP - it really gives it a soft, cinema type quality - stunning.

The one con though is when playing my xbox on it it's not as clear and sharp as on a CRT, but it really does feel like you're playing at the arcade on this size of the screen - you just lose some clarity.

Convergence is pretty basic just warm the set up for 30mins and select it through the on screen menu - then you just move a number of white crosses around so there are no red or blue showing behind them. Hard to explain but pretty easy stuff.

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    superb looks like its a 42 inch monster for me then dont you just love the one up man ship.mate just bought a 32 inch crt so ofcourse you have to up the ante lol thanks again mate for your quick reply :D

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I could have gone down the RPTV line as well, but the burn-in issue was too great for me. Plus the lack of definition compared to the top CRTs didn't help... One good aspect is the size, and often enough they are progressive scan compatible.

Burn-in was the issue for me though along with the viewing angle since I tend to play a lot of videogames which of course have static menus (health, etc) and I like to have a few games with my mates, so if they can't see the screen clearly then theres no point.

Other issues like replacing the bulbs would be like minor issues to RPTV owners but its worth noting anyway. For me RPTV ranks below the top CRTs...

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    just when you think you have eveything sorted along comes someone to wreck it lol.i no longer have my ps2 for which pro evolution was the only game i played really.but i had heard that it was ok to use consoles on rptvs as long as it wasnt for hours on end none stop.i would like someones advice on this who owns both a console and a rptv???.what tv do you have neo oh hang on do you own a tosh 32zd26 i think i remember you on the thread for that set.i was looking at the same set i seen it in powerhouse well before i heard about it on this forum.and i have to say i was taken by it straight away but i can get a screen 10 inchs bigger for the same price roughly.thanks for your input mate i appreciate the reply love the pic by the way :D

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Sorry Silver, at least you're not playing FIFA eh? ^_^

I just wanted to add my points of view to give you the full picture. Nothing in life is as clear cut sadly, otherwise we wouldn't be at forums like this.

I'm not a RPTV owner but I'm sure its safe to use in doses. If you're an RPG fan though then playing games hours on end will seem like 30mins, so there is an air of caution when playing videogames on RPTVs. And indeed TV thesedays since almost everything now has a static logo... I know that Plasmas and possibly some RPTVs have software that will "jitter" the image slightly by one pixel to prevent burn-in... But for me (as a gamer and DVD fan) its not good enough.

If I really wanted the bigger picture then I would have invested in a £5k projector.

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i just dont think i could stretch to a 5k projector lol how you getting on with your prog scan tosh mate.an i will never play fifa IM KEEPING IT REAL lol :D

10. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I had a Tosh 40WHO8B for 2 years before upgrading to my Panasonic plasma recently, and I played DC and PS2 extensively on the RPTV during that time with no burn-in issues.

As long as you use some common sense you will be fine. Personally I used a screen setting on the Tosh that had the lowest contrast levels for games, this meant the chance of screen burn was significantly reduced. I do the same now with my plasma and have seen no problems at all so far.

If you leave a pause screen displayed for a couple of hours and then come back to find your set ruined then it's your own fault, but otherwise don't worry as long as your contrast is low.

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Silverback,

Convergence and geometry were spot on (hard to believe I know) when the set was delivered and I've never had to change them. As for consoles, I've used a PS2 and X-BOX since they were both released with no probs with screen burn.

John

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :: pounds chest :: My man. I can't wait for the new Pro Evo to c ome out over here now.

As for the Tosh its sweet indeed. I just found out that my Philips Q50 has been shipped (just received my LOTR R1 DVD as well today) so all is well.

As for the comments about burn-in, of course its not going to happen by turning on your console. As a gamer, the sessions can (and often do) carry on for a lot longer than you have planned... Just try out multiplayer Bomberman or some close matches with Pro Evo and you'll get my point ^_^

Lower contrast certainly helps but then, do you really want to lower the contrast everytime you play a videogame? I think I've stated before that many new RPTVs and Plasmas will have some "jitter" technology, moving static images (like logos) by a pixel or so, to prolong the screens life by reducing burn-in. Certainly such technology helps, but the viewing angle was againt me as well. Its fine if you have the space but my viewing distance is only 2m unless I re-arrange my room.

Burn in certainly wouldn't happen overnight unless you are careless as CarlB has stated, but the points were negative factors for my case.

Of course the decision is yours Silverback and I'm sure you can't go too wrong with either a top CRT/RPTV or a Plasma.