compro s350 not working with windows media centre help

Asoe209

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have just installed a Compro s350 tv tuner card and all its software after a morning of trying to find the tv channels from my sky disc it now works and im getting tv when i use it through it program.

Now I wanted to set up tv so i could watch it through window media centre but when i go into it i get a message say there is no tuner card. now there is a card and it is working.

does any one know how to go about getting tv to work through the media centre.

I had the Compro S350 working in WIndows 7 RC Media centre without issue but today I did a clean install of the "final" release of WIndows 7 and there is no signal detected from this card (although it is detected)

Can anybody share they experiences with this card and the official release of WIndows 7 media centre?

I installed a Compro S350 DVB-S card under Windows 7 RC yesterday and have it running alongside 2 x Blackgold BGT3510 Dual DVB-T cards (so 5 tuners in total: 1 x DVB-S, 4 x DVB-T under WMC).

I did have an initial problem when I first ran the Compro provided TV app - I started the autoscanning & it hung at 50%, however, once I set the LNB option to single, this found about 150 channels on the Astra 2A, B, D (28.2) satellites.

The only thing I had to select under WMC TV Signal setup (for the DVB-S setup part) was Astra 2A, B, D at 28.2 / Eurobird at 28.5 for the satellite and Universal (for the LNB type) and it found all of the channels - 99% of which were of no interest to me or overlapped with the Freeview channels I receive via the DVB-T cards, but the one channel I did want - BBC HD, it found and displays fine via WMC.

I have experienced a problem where, after the TV signal part of WMC is completed, Windows complains that there is no signal - either for DVB-T or DVB-S channels. However, from some experimentation, I suspect this is either due to a bug in the way that channel pooling works under Windows 7 or a problem with the Blackgold DVB-T (Win 7 pre release) BDA drivers that are impacting the Compro Win 7 RC BDA driver. Touch wood, I seem to have found a workaround for this by disabling & then re-enabling any one of the 4 DVB-T tuners (via the WMC Edit Channels option).

However, it sounds like the problem that others are experiencing with the Compro S350 is in the TV Signal Setup section of WMC rather than Live TV.

I have now managed to get it to find channels. I had to do a WMC update and add a few other patches. After doing that it was able to search and pick up listings.

The only problem a face now is the channels I get I'm using my compro with my sky dish. But it like I only really get 1-5 and a few other like e4 etc. I was hopng to pick up all free sky channels but now I'm thinking I should ge another type of airel to do this with as I now how to swith between my set top bo and computer which is a pain.

Does any one have a link to an airel that I can get to use with the compro just to pick up free view channels or if there are any extra things that I do need for this to work.

I have now managed to get it to find channels. I had to do a WMC update and add a few other patches. After doing that it was able to search and pick up listings.

The only problem a face now is the channels I get I'm using my compro with my sky dish. But it like I only really get 1-5 and a few other like e4 etc. I was hopng to pick up all free sky channels but now I'm thinking I should ge another type of airel to do this with as I now how to swith between my set top bo and computer which is a pain.

Does any one have a link to an airel that I can get to use with the compro just to pick up free view channels or if there are any extra things that I do need for this to work.

It looks like you typed your post at 100mph! so not sure if I have understood your question correctly.

The Compro S350 card will pick up about 150 channels off the Astra 2A,B,D satellites - I am not sure exactly how many of these match the ones available on Freeview, but the Freesat site provides a listing of the channels it provides: freesat - Channels - With freesat, it's access all areas, so it should be fairly easy to do a comparison.

Sky isnt my area of expertise because I have never subscribed to it, but whilst the Compro card will let you see all FTA (Free to Air) channels as these arent encrypted, you wont be able to see Sky FTV (Free to View) channels without a viewing card as these will be encrypted. I am sure that there will be a few Sky experts on this forum who can correct me if I am wrong about this.

Re your question about using the Compro card with a TV aerial, that wont work as the card is for DVB-S satellite signals not terrestrial TV (DVB-T aka Freeview or analogue)

It looks like you typed your post at 100mph! so not sure if I have understood your question correctly.

The Compro S350 card will pick up about 150 channels off the Astra 2A,B,D satellites - I am not sure exactly how many of these match the ones available on Freeview, but the Freesat site provides a listing of the channels it provides: freesat - Channels - With freesat, it's access all areas, so it should be fairly easy to do a comparison.

Sky isnt my area of expertise because I have never subscribed to it, but whilst the Compro card will let you see all FTA (Free to Air) channels as these arent encrypted, you wont be able to see Sky FTV (Free to View) channels without a viewing card as these will be encrypted. I am sure that there will be a few Sky experts on this forum who can correct me if I am wrong about this.

Re your question about using the Compro card with a TV aerial, that wont work as the card is for DVB-S satellite signals not terrestrial TV (DVB-T aka Freeview or analogue)

My bad on my post i dont make sense some times. but thanks for your ressponce.

What you said about not being able to pic up FTV sky channels with out the card must be where im going wrong. this is why i was hoping there is some thing else i could use other than my dish to pick channels up.

do i take now that if I want to watch free viel channels form my computer that im will need a diferteent tv card.

.... do i take now that if I want to watch free viel channels form my computer that im will need a diferteent tv card.

Correct. If there are particular Freeview terrestrial channels that you are interested in, your will need a DVB-T TV tuner card that works under Windows Media Center.

There are quite a few DVB-T cards available from companies like Hauppauge i.e this model: Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-NOVA-TD 500 This is a dual tuner card so you can record 2 programmes at once. Note: This is a PCI card (the same form factor as your Compro S350 DVB-S card).

Or this one from Blackgold: https://www.btowstore.com/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Products/BGT3510 - This is also a dual tuner model but is a PCIe (PCI Express) card so you would need to make sure that your PC motherboard supported this.

Note: If you want to check whether there are particular Freeview channels that arent on Freesat, you can check out the Freeview site here: Freeview - Home / Channels

Hay thanks for the reply with info thats was a big help.

so when using a aerial for this is it just a normal freeview aerial like this one Buy Total Control Freeview Indoor Aerial. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

will this do the job, so i no longer need to use my sky dish and ill get the channels u listed in you link.

I dont have any experience with indoor TV aerials but unless you are practically next door to the transmitter, I would be amazed if you got much of a signal with the aerial in your link!.

I take it you dont already have an existing roof mounted TV aerial? If you do and you currently get a strong signal for the analogue TV, there is a good chance that you will get the Freeview signals as well.

na i cant say that i do have a roof mounted aerial which is why ill have to get one of these.

I only chose that one in th link as an e.g. for connection reasons as the compro has the sky aerial type connetions on the back.

i think the ones in your link are normal aerial type connections any way. if any thing ill get one of them other ones and sell the compro.

just hope nothing goes funny with switch over and all that crap there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom