Compressing recordings - recorder or PC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nelviticus, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I've been recording 'Lost' on my Panasonic E95 at best quality and each episode takes up about 2.4GB. I want to burn the series (on my PC) to double-layer discs, fitting six episodes to a disc. Double-layer DVDs are 8.5GB so I need to compress the episodes by about 50%.

I have two ways of doing this: I can either get the Panny to re-encode the episodes when it transfers them to my DVD-RAM discs, or I can transfer them as they are then compress them on the PC.

Does anyone have any idea which method will result in the best quality? If I do it on the PC I'll make an over-sized disc image using TMPGEnc DVD Author, then re-encode it using Nero Recode. I could just try both methods and see which works best but firstly either method will take at least a couple of evenings and secondly I don't want to waste a double-layer disc! If someone has experimented with this before I'd be grateful if you could share your experience.

Regards

Nelviticus

2. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why record them in good quality and then compress them 50%,seems a bit silly to me.
    If you compress them on a PC you will see a difference,dont know about the Panny but there has to be some loss somewhere to get them to fit.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,196
    I recorded Lost at SP quality and can fit three episodes on a single layer without compressing.

I do compress on the computer and get better results than recording at lower quality. At 50% I would re-encode rather than compress as the quality is a lot higher. I would look at downloading the free version of DVD Rebuilder 0.96 and use a encoder such as HCE or Quenc. You can download DVD-RB and all the encoders will be installed at the same time. However, it takes a lot longer to re-encode.

If I only need to compress a small amount (up to 20%), I just use DVD Shrink.

DVD Rebuilder 0.96 Installer

4. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Why record them at good quality? Because it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Cheers NWGarratt, I will check out those apps.

Regards

Nelviticus