Compressed hours. What day off would you take and why?

Hitby

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm soon to be a first time father (can't wait!) and as part of the mega life upheaval, I've requested and been granted compressed hours at work. :cool:

So...

The decision is which day to take as my extra days holiday? Monday or Friday? I'm erring toward Friday at the moment as finishing work earlier in the week sounds nice but Monday has it's upsides as well!

Which would you take?

Depends on what your work place is like - personally, I'd take Monday because Friday's are quite relaxed where I work.

May not apply to you (if only short term), but bear in mind that most bank holidays are on mondays - people who don't work on mondays can lose out, depends on how good your employer is.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd take Friday, more things to do (outside of work) than on a Monday. I don't mind working Mondays but it would be nice to finish on a Thursday.

If I worked Mon-Fri then I'd take Friday. It's the end of the week so I would expect productivity to drop a bit anyway. I don't think I'd be missing much (compared to Mondays at least).

Congratulations, by the way. Do you know the due date?

I used to take sundays and mondays off in my old job and always thought that it was the best combination for what i needed.

The reason being is that you have the slow part of the weekend off and when all of your mates go back to work on the monday you've got the day to do whatever you want at your own pace! Fridays and weekends in general are over rated IMO.

I suppose im biased that I work shifts and get days off throughout the week!

Friday, its when other people generally get days off so if you wanted to do something with them theres more chance you could, plus an early weekend is just nicer.

If everyone around you is leaving a day later you'll feel better than if you'd turned up a day late.

Plus i dont know how it works with you and bank holidays but if a bank holiday falls on a monday and you had monday off would you get an additional day off or not?

On the flipside mondays generally the busiest day in my limited experience, but then friday can get a bit boring waiting to leave and having less to do so swings and roundabouts.

No reason for any particular day at home or work. Wouldn't I get bank holidays in lieu if I took Monday? Or if I took Friday then I'd get Good Friday in lieu thereby finishing on Wednesday

Congratulations, by the way. Do you know the due date?

27th April :clap::clap:

I'd take the Monday, as has been said before it depends on your workplace but I generally have a pretty lazy friday where I spend the day tying up loose ends from old work ive missed through the week. That plus I get to come in wearing jeans and a hoodie rather than shirt/trousers :laugh:

Fridays are easy, Mondays are less so!

Neither - going to work will be easier.

Failing that, Wednesdays - two day weeks FTW!

> Wouldn't I get bank holidays in lieu if I took Monday?

These are the kinds of details you want to get written down at the outset.

No reason for any particular day at home or work. Wouldn't I get bank holidays in lieu if I took Monday? Or if I took Friday then I'd get Good Friday in lieu thereby finishing on Wednesday

Depends on the employer. The good ones do this if you were working 4 out of 5 days

leave entitlement = (annual leave + bank holidays) x 4/5

If you are at work for a bank holiday then you take it, if you aren't then it becomes a free day to take when you want.

But I've also known people who just lost out.

Obviously, your calculation would be a little more complicated if it was for only part of the year.

Cheers,

Nigel

Also, while this sounds good in theory, have you considered the effects of your 'home time' on the extended-hours days? Will you be getting in later? Too late?

What's your commute like? Friday afternoon traffic used to be hell for me and I'd loved to have avoided that.

I get in at about 6 at the moment and the change will mean getting in at 7 three days and 6.30 for one so not a huge difference. Same as if there's an accident on the A19. I'm fairly sure bank holidays will be honoured so if I take Fridays then there's a bank holiday on the Monday I'd be doing a three day week

What's your commute like? Friday afternoon traffic used to be hell for me and I'd loved to have avoided that.

Commute is an hour each way which will shorten for the home journey when my hours change - Friday is no different to any other day really

Just be aware that if you leave an hour earlier and get home an hour later, that may only be two hours, but if they are two 'important' hours (e.g. bedtime or walking around with jr in the morning so SWMBO can have a bit of extra kip) then the impact can be disproportionate.

And don't forget, 'accident on the a19' will still add time onto your new late time.

Not trying to be negative :)

Losing those two hours though will be more than made up for by being able to spend a full extra day a week with him/her

@Hitby,

I might have misunderstood. I thought you were going onto a 4 day week, but it sounds like you are still doing 5 days worth of hours but over 4 days.

In which case ignore the calculation I posted - doesn't apply as you will still be entitled to 100% of your holidays, not 80%.

Cheers,

Nigel

@Hitby,

I might have misunderstood. I thought you were going onto a 4 day week, but it sounds like you are still doing 5 days worth of hours but over 4 days.

In which case ignore the calculation I posted - doesn't apply as you will still be entitled to 100% of your holidays, not 80%.

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't think thats right is it? Holidays are based on days, not hours worked.
If he gets 20 days holiday and works 5 days, that is four weeks, but if he works 4 he will be getting an extra weeks holiday.

Losing those two hours though will be more than made up for by being able to spend a full extra day a week with him/her

It should be good - best of luck to you. Just don't understimate the power of an extra hour or so in bed - particularly in the first six months.

(if you want my qualifications, our third child is just turning six months old :) )

If he gets 20 days holiday and works 5 days, that is four weeks, but if he works 4 he will be getting an extra weeks holiday.

I'm contracted to do 37.5 hours a week. Currently I do them over five days. I'll be compressing that and doing the same amount of hours over four days - same amount of work = same holiday entitlement

It will be worked out that each week counts as five days toward the holiday accrual.

Just a heads up, expect the odd call from work on your day off ;)

I used to work as part of a shift rota Mon-Thurs, 8am-6pm, and have the Friday off. It was good finishing on a Thursday evening, and having a little lie in on a Friday, while everybody else went to work :D

I used to do 3 x 12hrs (8-8) shifts, so 4 days off every week, and that was awesome :D

Looks like the general consensus is Friday's which is what I was erring toward anyway :D

I think I'd prefer to be in at the start of the week so I'm around if I'm needed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom