Compound routine for fat loss

WhyAyeMan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I started this year as a 38 year old bloke unhappy with his appearance and fitness levels. I was 5'10 and 15st7 at the start when I decided to do something about it at the end of January.

I've made a few dietary changes and a lot more walking and lifting some weights, and as of today, I am 14st8 so I'm pretty pleased with that, especially considering I still drink more than I should (I am working on that).

This week I have started Slimming World and am enjoying it, lost 4 lbs this week.

Anyway, I am no stranger to weights, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert, I've done them on and off for the last 10 years.

At home I have a squat rack (not a cage, unfortunately) and a barbell and about 100 kg of weights.

I am still confused as to what I should be doing to maintain or even gain a little muscle while I am losing weight. I seem to flick from one routine to the next, and I really ought to stick to something to see results.

Example last week, I was doing 1 set to failure, but then I read I shouldn't do that as I train alone and without backups like the cage with its safety bars, this could be dodgy.

This week I've started Rippetoes 3x5 compound routine, and then subsequently ended up with a shoulder injury from not concentrating on the bench. So its given me some time to think while my shoulder sorts itself out.

So what should I actually be doing? I am most familiar with compound movements as thats what I do the most of and am generally alright at those with decent form most of the time (except the last time, but that was my fault). I am a little confused with all the conflicting info about number of sets, number of reps, intensity (i.e. do I go to failure or not), etc.

Any insights would be welcome? My main goal is fat loss, and bigger muscles rather than a focus on strength. I know the whole fat loss and muscle growth thing together is a contentious subject, but at very least, I'd like not to lose any muscle mass; my diet is as it stands, pretty good I think, plenty of protein, not too many calories, and is fairly varied and healthy.

Thanks!

Exercise is not all that amazing for fat loss. You do get the odd high responder but for most of us exercise only acts as a mild catalyst.

However, what is important is to retain lean body mass and to that end exercise is near enough essential. To that end any full body resistance routine that is done 2-3 times a week will work.

Use what you eat to lose weight. Try to find food that fill you up, yet are low calories. Most protein whole foods fit into this category as does green veg and most fruits. Hunger tends to be an individual response so try different things. Personally I find it easy to eat too many fats, but hard to eat too many carbs as I don't like junk food and like my veggies. However, many find the opposite.

Last edited:
Well done on the weight loss so far. Combining cardio and weights will work well but make sure you eat enough or your body will start storing fat.

Look into resting metabolic rate, BMI and work out your daily calorie intake then if you must Reduce calories only drop by 200-300 and no more so you can fuel your workout.

I’m 5ft 9in and have dropped a stone to 13st even though I’m putting away nearly 2500 calories a day [emoji106]

I'm a huge fan of Stronglifts and Rippetoe but in my own experience it wasn't great for fat loss because it didn't target the appropriate energy source usage and it gave me a raging hunger that I couldn't control so at best I stayed the same and at worst I put on fat as well as muscle.

I think most resistance routines will increase hunger at least at first. The body does not want to lose weight so it fights it. If you can hold of the hunger for a few weeks may reduce.

HIIT has been shown to minimally affect hunger so short, sharp 10-12 min workouts may be best.

Thanks guys, I dont find that weights really increase my hunger too much. I am not someone with a huge appetite, I simply ended up overweight because I ate the wrong things and drank too much alcohol, both of those things I’ve now changed :)

Thanks guys, I dont find that weights really increase my hunger too much. I am not someone with a huge appetite, I simply ended up overweight because I ate the wrong things and drank too much alcohol, both of those things I’ve now changed :)

Well now you can lift weights and drink beer [emoji106]

Go to bodybuilding.com and sign up for a free BodySpace account. Download the app and pick one of the free workout plans. You’ll get the odd supplement advert but just close them

I designed a body-recomp routine if you're interested. I detailed the diet, exercises - everything you need. I added 8lb of muscle and lost 6lb of fat over 3 months, and had DEXA scan to show the results. There is a link in the article to the exact routine, whereas this one states how and why it is possible:
If you have any questions, just let me know and I will try to help out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you pick a program and stick with it? How did it turn out?

In response to your question the best program if you are a complete beginner would be starting strength or StrongLifts 5x5. ICF 5x5 is also an option if you are interested in spending more time doing accessories towards the goal of enhanced hypertrophy (which sounds like what you want with "bigger muscles"--but it isn't so cut and dry). All focus on improving in the compound lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, OHP) and ICF adds on more accessories.

I think your ideas about strength and size are misplaced especially in regards to compound lifts. Focusing on building strength in the big three (squat, bench, deadlift) while maintaining proper form is an exceptionally objective way to measure your muscular development. I think building muscle is a lot more complex and dynamic than people think--it's not "do x amount of sets y times for z results".

As far as losing weight, that will come down to being in a caloric deficit. 200-300 calories per day is a good point to aim for.

As this thread was showing up on my screen, I thought I'd bump it, just to see if the OP has some good news about his weight loss over the 17 months since he started this thread.

As this thread was showing up on my screen, I thought I'd bump it, just to see if the OP has some good news about his weight loss over the 17 months since he started this thread.

Yeah I’ve lost quite a bit of weight. Had to cut back on the booze a bit and I have salads every day at work. That has made the most difference.

In terms of my routine, I just do 1 set of 8-12 reps (as many as possible) of squat, bench press, shoulder press, stiff leg deadlifts and barbell rows with some bicep curls and crunches thrown in for good measure. I like this routine as its simple and is not time intensive. Even the mrs is joining in!

Hey there, I haven't been in the forum for a long time and read the latest articles and posts, the only reason I'm posting today is because I just wanted to share a few things I found on the web and I've been analyzing lately, they seem to have very good reviews. I wanted to share them with you because after all, we are struggling with the same thing. I suggest you to take a look at them and see for yourself, analyze the opinions and maybe give them a try, I haven't tried them yet so I can't give you my personal opinion so far, but I have bought them to see how they work for me.

Greetings and blessings.

Promotional links removed by Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom