1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

composite???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gipo, Jan 1, 2004.

1. gipo

gipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thinking of using my composite video connections on my yamaha rxv440rds rec. but I dont know if it will justify the pictures from my philips dvd player.At the moment I am using RGB output straight to my tv.Any sugestions. :confused:

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    composite is the lowest quality signal. Its watchable but far from the ideal connection. Try it and see if you can live with the results.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Nicely done but what is the factor seperating the two s-video screens. Is it the encoding in the dvd player or decoding in the television itself? I must admit i don't think I've ever seen a s-video image as close to rgb/component as the picture shown but I've certainly read the views of people who believe s-video to be as good if not better than RGB on their setups (High end Toshibas normally).

With regard the red colour box on your rgb/component image compared to s-video I would say the difference isn't striking enough. I find red clean and vivid via RGB but this dramatically reduces with s-video on every set I've seen.

Also on the s-video (best) image you have resolution on the 1f line going up past 6mhz just the same as the RGB/component image in fact the resolution looks identical. Can that really be achieved in real life with s-video?

Anyway nice work.

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's the encoding that differs between the examples. The better quality S-video image was let retain as high bandwidth as I thought would be possible to achieve in theory. I experimented with how much detail could be let through the color subcarrier before the colors would go wrong, but since the script lives in a 'perfect world' where it does not need to lock onto a burst before it decodes the color, and there is no jitter, it is at an advantage.

I don't know how high bandwidth S-video may have in practice - since it doesn't need to be limited to make room for the audio carrier above it, I guess at least luminance bandwidth could go very high, but I honestly don't know how high it ever goes in practice. Therefore I limited the bandwidth in the second S-video screen to about the same as the composite signal (I should admit that the low pass filters were created through experimentation and are not fully precise).

The images also have higher overall resolution than DVD Video since they have nearly square pixels (767 pixels wide over 52µs as opposed to 702 pixels).

Thanks for the kudos. :)