1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Composite Video

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mark67, Oct 4, 2003.

1. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a TAG AV32r (Single Processor) and I am a bit baffled about the composite video. What's it all about? I have only got VCR it's an SVHS, and has 2 Svideo sockets. Can I use the Compo.... Video socket on the AV32R with my VCR.
    At present I am using a Scart lead to between the TV and VCR.

Hope this makes sense :blush: . Can someone help me out?

Cheers

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First off, welcome to the TAG club. Hope you enjoy your stay. :smashin:

The AV32R can switch/accept two different types of signals. Composite video, and S-Video. You would connect the TAG to your TV either to set it up the first time round (using the onscreen menus), or so you can get the onscreen displays for volume etc while using it.

In all honesty, you probably don't want to use composite as it comes at the bottom of the list quality wise. To get the best image from your VCR, you need to get an S-Video signal out from it.

You say your VCR has 2 S-Video sockets, I take it you mean the small round ones (mini-DIN) that look like they can take 4 pins inside? If so, great. All you need is an S-Video -> S-Video lead to connect your VCR to your Tag going in to socket marked "vcr-s". Then you need another lead to carry the signal from the TAG to your TV, this will be an S-Video to Scart lead. People like Ixos and QED do these so you shouldn't have much trouble getting hold of them. You'll want to connect the cable with the SCART to the TV at the SCART end, and then the other end to the socket marked "out2 + osd". This means you get the onscreen display, the other socket "out1" doesn't include this.

Just a warning, don't bother with the JVC s-video cables sold in places like Dixons. The s-video plugs have a bump in the wrong place which means when you try unplugging it from your TAG, it damages the socket. I speak from experience. :(

As a last step, go into the TAG menus and tell it that for the VCR source, you use the "vcr-s" input. Thay way when you select "VCR" on the remote, it will automatically select this picture.

Of course you'll also need a way to get the sound from your VCR/TV to the TAG, but hopefully you'll have that already sorted. If not, let us know.

3. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have got the sound sorted out and I have run an Svideo cable from the Tag to my TV to get the on screen menu. I'll have to get a Scart to svideo and then we should be cooking on gas.

Is their anything else you can tell me about the Tag that may not be obvious at the moment? (I only got it yesterday).

Cheers.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Umm, where should I start?

There's not a great deal, except it's a really nice touch that you can set up the default sound processing modes depending on what source you select. EG. VCR, Pro Logic II movie please. CD, Pro Logic II Music (or whatever you prefer). Are you running the sound from the VCR or from the TV? Just curious.

The setup wizard is great, it really makes setting up the AV32R so much easier. I don't really think I've looked at the manuals.

I can't think of a higher compliment than that. Oh wait, it sounds pretty good too.

If you have any other questions, post them here and somebody will be along to help you out.