Composite Video not working consistently on Denon AVR-S910W

nobled

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Denon AVR-S901W and I've tried connecting 2 different composite video devices to it (original NES and original Xbox) and when I first connect them and configure the inputs (so there is a "-" in the hdmi column and a "1" for the NES and a "2" for the Xbox in the Analog and Video columns) they work fine, but if I switch away from the input and switch back or power everything off and back on the video may or may not work again (but the audio works every time), and the more times I turn things off and back on or switch away the less likely it is to work the next time till it gets bad enough that it never seems to work again. And I'll maybe get it to work 5 times tops before it never works again. I've tried disconnecting things and plugging them back in and if the receiver is on when I unplug things and plug it back in it will sometimes work again. I know that sounds odd, but that's the way it appears to be behaving.

I've also tried messing around with the "Video Output" settings and none of them have made a difference. So as per Denon's recommendations I've left the "Video Conversion" to "On" and the "i/p Scaler" to "Analog" and "-Resolution (analog)" to "Auto" but I still get nothing but the "Denon" on the screen with the audio working from my device.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I could do to fix this? I've thought about buying a component to hdmi converter for my xbox and nes, but it seems like my receiver should be able to convert the video.

Edit: It probably doesn't matter, but I should've mentioned the receiver is connected to a Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA TV that supports 4k. Also, I tried connecting the NES directly to the TV and it works but that requires fishing wires through the wall and then I'd have to use the TV to switch to some devices and the receiver for others and I'm not sure how well that would work with the wife and kids.

Last edited:
sorry late here to this thread.

I just bought a Denon AVR-960H, in large part because I wanted to hook up a PAL/NTSC VCR to have access to research VHS tapes. In my first try connecting them to the CAB/SAT composite connections, I found that the audio played but the video wouldn't -- just showed "DENON". Turns out my VCR is busted anyway so I can't test much further, but I'd want this thing in theory to be able ot connect to a VCR. So your confirmation of this issue is a problem.

Did you ever find a resolution?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom