1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

composite to SCART cable

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by taimur, Jun 17, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently I use composite output from my AV receiver to my CRT TV which has a SCART connection at the end of it. The cable was made by the store that sold me all my equipment.

I need a longer cable. Can I just take some standard phono audio interconnect cable and connect that to a conversion box (audio L+R, video input - SCART output)?

It's just that I have a long lead of reasonable quality phono interconnect cable and I have a conversion box to hand.

Thanks
    Taimur

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong forum - please feel free to change this if necessary.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    taimur ... you need to make sure the cable is 75ohm not just a standard audio cable.

Try www.vdctrading.co.uk and look at their Van Damme cables ... bargain priced.

Vikki

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply - do you know what resistance normal phono interconnects are? Presumably if I use a normal phono interconnect I'll lose quality rather than damage any equipment?

regards
    Taimur

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Audio interconnects usually arn't measured for impedance (it's not resistance IIRC). If you use the "wrong" cable, then you may loose quality but shouldn't damage anything.

Vikki

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply - it's just that I'm going to be using this as a temporary solution until I can afford my plasma, so I'm not overly concerned about losing a small amount of quality.

I bought my very long and no longer required audio interconnect cable from my local 7oaks, who told me that the cable is of "military quality". It was only later once I had returned home that I thought about the implications of the statement in full, wondering what on earth the military would do with a really good phono interconnect! :) I wonder what kind of music they listen to, and which CD player they have :LOL:

Taimur

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Don't know about the Army ... but the sonar operators I know prefer Paganini

7. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    This is the kind of advice I expect from 7oaks.

As an aside, what does military quality mean? Does it mean it repeatedly flies over allied troops asking permission to engage them and then having been repeatedly denied permission engages them anyway?

Whenever anyone tells me something is "military quality", I ask "Which military?".

D.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Just like any other "chain" of shops ... I think the advise you get from different Sevenoaks stores varies.

Vikki