Composite to S-Video cable does not work

M

mightymachine

Hello,

I have recently purchased an InFocus IN104 which I really like. So far I only used it via VGA, but now I tried hooking up my Commodore 64 to the projector via Composite, which does work, but sadly, the image is quite blurry. I thought maybe it's the Composite-In of my projector that is not working well with low resolutions, so I bought a "Composite to S-Video" cable to see if it looks better that way.

Sadly, I have not been successful in getting any image into the S-Video input. Sometimes he says that he detected some signal, but then again he loses it. Since I don't have any other S-Video-equipped devices, I hooked up an old camcorder first via Composite to see if it works at all, and then again using the Composite to S-Video cable, but it won't work either.

Do you think it's the cable or could it be an issue with the S-Video input? Is it even possible to convert composite to S-Video (the vendor said the cable is working in both ways)?

Its a passive cable relying on splitting the signal based on very crude frequency splitting. They are universally rubbish.

It is pretty much impossible to improve the quality of a signal without very sophisticated hardware, so don't waste your money.

How are you getting the signal from the Commodore 64 ? I seem to remember you could get RGB as well as composite from them. If so, you could make up a lead to supply RGB to the projector. You might need to split out the sync as well.

Thanks for your answer!

Well I think the signal is not that bad because I already had the C64 connected to a friend's projector some months ago and it looked fine - at least that's what I remember. That's why I thought maybe the composite-in of my projector is bad. But I will try it again to be sure.

The C64 has a "video out" (some DIN connector) and I have two cables for that, one of them has the signal split into luminance and chrominance and audio and one only splits into composite video and audio.
It also has a TV antenna out, but I guess that won't be of much use either?

Thanks for your answer!

Well I think the signal is not that bad because I already had the C64 connected to a friend's projector some months ago and it looked fine - at least that's what I remember. That's why I thought maybe the composite-in of my projector is bad. But I will try it again to be sure.

The C64 has a "video out" (some DIN connector) and I have two cables for that, one of them has the signal split into luminance and chrominance and audio and one only splits into composite video and audio.
It also has a TV antenna out, but I guess that won't be of much use either?

If you have a Y/C cable (Chominance and Luminance) then you just need a cable that takes the 2 signals and combines them into the correct connector. CPC.co.uk or ebay will be your friend! I assume the signals are on a pair of RCA plugs at the moment ? I seem to remember we had a similar cable to Scart back in the day!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom