• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

composite switch box needed

john R1

Banned
can only get my boys ps2 to work on composite leads when using it on his 17" lcd so i need a box that can accept two composite in signals and one composite out, do they make such a thing because the freeview box that came with the lcd also outputs via composite

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
john R1

Does the Freeview box have SCART sockets?

If yes does it have Two of them?

If yes then you can 'daisy chain' the PS2 via the Freeview using a SCART cable.

Best regards

Joe

john R1

Banned
joe not sure what you mean, it does have 2 scart sockets, one says tv out the other says vcr am using this one for the dvd which works ok

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello john R1

If you install a PS2 RGB SCART cable you can daisy chain the PS2 via your Freeview box - and by replacing the PS2 Composite cable with the RGB cable you'll also improve image quality.

As your already using the 'daisy chain' or 'Pass-thru' function on the Freeview for your DVD player you have two options.

01. If your DVD player has two SCART sockets you can form a slightly longer daisy chain - PS2 > DVD > Freeview > TV.

02. If the DVD only has a single SCART Out you can simply add a low cost SCART switcher to your set up - to enable all three source devices to connect to the single Input on your TV.

If you leave the DVD connected to the Freeview all you require is a decent quality Two way SCART switch and wire as follows:

DVD > Freeview > SCART Switch Input 01
PS2 > SCART switch Input 02
SCART switch Output > TV

See http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=31&osCsid=ccac9b6660e9ebf8535303c2572d4edb

For best results set your Freeview, DVD, PS2 and TV to RGB.

Best regards

Joe

john R1

Banned
i can see what your saying joe, but bearing in mind the input on the lcd is composite ( there is no scart input ) will it still work, also would i need a proper ps2 to scart lead as i am using a ps2 to composite which plugs into a scart connector which only seems to have a few connecting pins, i hope you can understand what i am saying, thanks again john

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello john R1

The connectivity plan outlined above is still the same all you require is a SCART to 3RCA cable (Composite + Stereo audio) between the Output of the SCART switch and the TV (which I'm guessing is what you already use between the Freeview and the TV).

Its fine to use a 'SCART' block adapter on the end of the PS2 to 3RCA 'Composite + Stereo audio' cable - the JS Technology switcher will switch Composite, S-Video or RGB plus Stereo audio.

Connectivity therefore is:

DVD > Freeview (SCART to SCART)
Freeview to SCART switch (SCART to SCART)
PS2 > SCART Switch (PS2 cable + SCART adapter block)
SCART switch to TV (SCART to 3RCA cable).

Best regards

Joe

john R1

Banned
joe i dont think i explained my problem very well as i can see how it should connect up, when i plugged the ps2 lead in the back of the freeview ie the scart connector into aux scart, i got a picture on the display but i could not get any sound, so surely if i use the same ps2 to scart connector i will still not have any sound ?

Fibretear

Established Member
I have a Vivanco SBX94 SE switch box. It does a great job.

by composite do you mean a scart or are we talking RF connections here?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom