Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

composite/compnent/RGB whats the difference

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by deepblue2uk, Mar 27, 2004.

1. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI guys i have been searching through all the threads but am still confued. I am looking at buying a panny pa20 but want to get the best picture i can. I will be watching mainly tv/sky and occasionly dvd.

From what i can see it has 2 scarts with RGB, composite on the back but it appeares to have svhs and compnent on the front which is just stupid.

Any help will be appreciated. I cant wait to join the plasma crowd.

Cheers Lee

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Component video input is on the back of this panel, there is a computer VGA input on the front as far as I remember. Having composite and s-vhs on the front is not as stupid as all that, it's intended for your video camera. Saves a horrid grovel when you connect. Sky will connect with scart, enable RGB and 16:9 widescreen for god's sake. DVD, you could use RGB scart or component depending on what your player has. A good player with progressive scan output benefits from the component connection.

3. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW looking at all the threads it would appear i should use component when possible with decent cables

On my old CRT i had to use the svhs for my dvd which was on the front. I dont want to have any cables seen on a £2.7k set. However you are correct i can plug my digi camcorder to the front which would only be a rare occasion.

The only question now is what is composite and is it inferior to component or should i even be worrying about it?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    composite is the lowest of the low and should be avoided at all costs.

However it is the native form of signal for analogue TV broadcast, Laserdisc and Video (except s-video recordings). So if you are watching analogue TV from your video recorder you are stick with composite....

Gordon

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We've got a new technical document (it's only slightly technical!) on our website which explains some of the differencies between RGB, Component, S-Video and how eventually all three become composite.

However, getting the best out of your screen doesn't necessarily follow this order of quality. You may find it's better to use component video rather than the on-board SCART. I'd suggest a little bit of research on the forums to get the best.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Unless you live in a digital free area (and you have sky in any case) why buy a duff old analogue tuner? A PW6 is cheaper, more flexible with inputs, and could have side speakers put on it if that is important to you, though I'd give them a miss myself for a 1/2 decent surround sound.