Composite Camera & Video Sender v IP Camera & Wifi Router

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by morphix, Dec 7, 2011.

1. morphix

morphix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to setup a wireless camera solution but wish to avoid the cheap and nasty wifi cameras and want to use a proper CCD camera...

That leads me to the question...

I've seen some CCD cameras which have composite video-out.. and I'm wondering if one of these cameras could be used with a video sender (the type of device that sends a video signal to a receiver with Scart/Composite out). I have a PVR card in my PC that accepts a composite or SVIDEO signal.

Can anyone see any potential problems or draw backs to this approach? Maybe there are some benefits (being able to use with a TV/DVR box)?

The other option which is to use an IP camera with an ethernet port and use a wifi router next to the camera...

I'm planning on using ZoneMinder for monitoring/recording. My objective is getting high quality images for evidence purposes...

Would welcome any thoughts!

2. eyepete

eyepete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The simplest solution, based on the above, would be to use a standard IP camera hooked up to your router (wired or over wifi) and then, as you say, just use ZoneMinder to record continuously to your computer.

This way you could get away with a cheap(ish) camera that at least gives you decent quality video.

But you will still have one fundamental problem....how you're going to record events at night time without any external lighting.

As I presume most of what you need recording happens twilight and beyond that's the main hurdle you'll have to overcome as even the best camera won't be able to see in the dark without some help, IR based or otherwise.

Pete