1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Composite better than RGB

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Londondecca, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I am still having problems with horizontal flicker with my Loewe Aconda. Basically, whenever there are white horizontal white lines on the screen they flicker.

Whilst waiting for the engineer to call today, I was using the DVE disk to check on the test patterns. Whenever there is writing on the patterns, these words also flicker. My previous Tosh Picture Frame did this on composite but everything snapped into focus when I switched to RGB. As both Freeview & DVD are set to RGB, I set them to composite and the picture quality improved - not a great deal but the flicker did get better.

Any ideas on why this would happen

2. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Does the flicker go if you select DMI processing on ?

You have got the Loewe set to RGB and not Auto ? (mine does not auto-detect RGB).

I do get some flicker on DVD menus - but not on anything else

(Vitros -2400 chasis)

Mark.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    DMI helps a little. The inputs were set to RGB, it was only when I started to play with the composite settings on both DVD & Freeview, along with the TV that I noticed the small improvement.

On the DVE test patterns there are a few with circles in the middle, one strange thing I noted was the thickness of the lines change, eg the vertical parts of the circle are thicker than the horizontal parts.

If I use the freeze frame action of the TV, the flickering parts become distorted, by this I mean if the letters flicker when they are frozen only parts of the lines which make up each letter is visible for example the letter S appears as a distorted \ or _-

4. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Mmm - don't know how to help then London - which chassis is it ?2500 or 2400 ?

Tried S-Video on the DVD player ?

The only other thing - what sharpness setting on Loewe ?

Mark.

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is the flicker like an over brightening?

Have you tried adjusting the Contrast/Brightness/Sharpness?

:confused:

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It is the 2500 chassis. I have tried s-video from the DVD and this made no difference to the quality of the picture.

The sharpness is at 2 and the contrast etc was set using the DVE disk. I have tried playing with these setting but they dont seem to make any difference. Sharpness set to max gives a horrible picture but makes no difference to the horizontal line problem.

The engineer came to see the problem but had no idea what it could be so I am going to take my Freeview box and the DVE disk to the shop and plug it into another Loewe.

My (non engineering) guess is that either the decoding of all signals is faulty or some board is distorting the signal for the image guns (?)

Steven