1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component - YPbPr / RGB - same cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by David Mackenzie, Oct 31, 2004.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey everyone, I recently had the choice of buying Component cables. One set was labeled as YPbPr but the other RGB.

Do the cables really make a difference in this? I understand these are two different formats? Is it likely that my Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV will support both YPbPr and RGB input over Component?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Many screens with a component input can accept either YUV and RGB. To see if your screen does the only advise is :rtfm:

RGB is a generic term of which there are 3 versions. RGsB - sync on green, RGBS - sync on composite (as used in a scart) and RGBHV - separate horazontal and verticle sync. In the order as listed above they use 3, 4 & 5 cables so in theory you can just use a standard component YUV cable for RGB but in practice very few video sources will actually use the RGsB version of RGB. You would therefore need a 4th cable to carry the most common version of RGB with the sync on composite. The different versions of RGB are not compatable with each other without hardware conversion.

Mark.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I did consult the manual but it says nothing about this.

So, sets of 3 cables sold as "YUV" and "RGB" will essentially be the same cable with a different name?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If nothing else is mentioned in the manual then you need to go through the menu options for the YUV input. If nothing is mentioned about RGB then it will almost certainly be YUV only. If RGB is available then the type of RGB that can be accepted will also be set within the menu and will be dependent on the number of physical phono sockets.

If a lead is advertised as RGB and YUV then they are exactly the same thing, but if only 3 cables then it will be RGsB only. RGsB is not compatable with an RGB output from a scart on a STB, DVD etc as this will be RGBS (4 leads).

Mark.