1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component woes

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chukkychukky, Oct 25, 2004.

1. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Folks, does anyone use the component cable from tvcables.co.uk, the £12.99 one?
    I need a 10m length to connect a DVD player (Sony 725) to my Infocus X1 PJ?
    Going through the forums is a bit confusing! Is it worth opting for a £50 cable eg Profigold PGV 339, will the difference in PQ be substantial?

Thanks

2. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  3. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks MichaelJ

I read that post too, but since our friend had nothing to compare the cable to I wonder if anyone may have done the comparison?

Mind you, he has semi convinced me since it only £12.99, but I don't want to spend £50 on top of that!

4. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Personally, I've gone the opposite route and ordered some cables from Mark Grant (in the powerbuy section).

Initial expense is much greater, but after spending a huge amount on a plasmatv, I don't want to let a bit of cash let me down on what I could have.

Sure, SWMBO wonders why I can't just get 3 more cables from argos for a fiver or something each, but I know that I'll never be happy *knowing* I could do so much better.

5. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dude, that 150 smackerooneys!
    Thats a bit beyond the 10% rule for cables for me!
    I see where you're coming from, its all about peace of mind. I use a 1m Supra AV3 1m for my 36" TV but its all I've ever used so I'm wondering if a cheaper cable would have made a noticeable difference.

6. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would think that if you've never used a component feed (is it progressive?) to your PJ you'll find the cable to be fine. Just as I'm sure that if I had demoed a £10k PJ against my own I would now feel a little disappointed. I don't knock expensive cables, but equally cheap doesn't have to mean totally, crap. The lead from tvcables is fairly substantial, fully shielded HC designed cable. The connectors look like they could be a little more robust but I get an excellent pic using the 10m cable you need. I expect if some of the experts wanted to come and put test patterns etc through my system tey could eventaully convince me that a £150 cable would be better - but would I really enjoy the movie more?

I was skeptical, like you, about spending so little on an admittedly fundamental piece of my system but I'm happy enough to buy more of them, so surely they can't be that bad? Besides, even if you really hate it, you could probably recoup most of your money on ebay or make use of 3 lots of hefty 10m coax :)

Regards
    Pip

7. chukkychukky

chukkychukky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    theres always ebay!
    I think you have convinced me!

8. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Let us know how it goes, I truly don't think you'll be disappointed. In fact I'm about about to purchase a shorter length to connect to the amp, using the 10m section to connect the amp to the PJ.