1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component with S-video

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by source, Jul 20, 2005.

1. source

source

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using my xbox to play on my computer monitor in component. I use a Vdigi VD-Z3 adapter which changes the component to VGA, and then sends that to my monitor. I also have a TV Tuner in my computer which accepts composite and s-video. What I want to do is play on my monitor using component and record my games using s-video (using my tv tuner) simultaneously. I can't seem to find a cable that has component and s-video out on the same cable, which would be perfect. I have found a few that appear like this but they have a switch on them that only allow component or regular AV to be run at a time. I was also wondering if i could convert the vga signal also, that might work also. I am compleletly lost on how to find a wire that outputs component and s-video at the same time, anyone have any ideas??? thanks.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't think you are going to find one to be honest. Not unless some random XBOX site has something that allows two XBOX connections, and thus two seperate leads - one for component and one for s-video.

Can you get a new tuner card with component input??? Might be easier to do it that way. You may not even need an adaptor then at all if the Tuner input can display HD component picture on screen and record it at the same time.

3. source

source

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea i had thought about that but TV tuners offer a split second lag which can ruin online gameplay. I found this product: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...52650&Type=PE&Category=Comp&Gad=0&dcaid=15890

but im not sure how would be able to incorperate that into my setup, the only thing i could think of would be to split the component cables, but i cant find a component splitter, and on top of that, i dont know how much signal i would lose.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    THat is purely an adaptor cable for infocus projectors. The s-video like DIN has 6 pins in it to send component video signals down a plug that *looks* like an s-video. It's still a component signal though.

I was thinking more getting component out, splitting that, sending one through the VGA converter and another to the tuner. But I doubt you will find a tuner that will record HiDef component.

5. source

source

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea well i could do that and put the green wire in the composite video female, but it would only be a black and white image. I was thinking if maybe i could split the vga and convert the vga signal into s-video (or composite)?

6. source

source

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    That thing is an adaptor and not *convert* the high-resolution PC signal back into a low resolution s-video signal. THere will be some device somewhere (presumably a graphics card) that this cable is for, but that device specifically will be doing the s-video conversion within the card just outputting on it's VGA connector.

TBH you're really going to struggle with this one unless you get into the realms of silly money for a professional scan converter to downgrade a component output to s-video.

I would go for adding a component input to the PC if you can find one! In fact I'm sure that sweetspot one people are always talking about has YUV inputs, not sure if prog scan or not. Then a simple £50 component distributor and a couple of leads extra is all you need. Best post on PC forums I reckon