Component vs VGA output from PC

TheDoctor

Hello

Can anyone comment on the actual quality difference (if any?) when outputting video from a PC to a plasma, using VGA or component?

Views from Nvidia and ATI component output users would be welcome.

Regards

Doc

KraGorn

In PQ terms basically they're the same.

The only possible difference that you need to be aware of is that some displays will only accept a progressive (ie. non-interlaced) signal via component, but that's down to their electronics rather than any inherent difference between the two types of signal.

TheDoctor

Thanks KraGorn

What I am thinking of doing is passing HD video from the PC to the Crystalio via component cable and letting the Crystalio process the video. I will keep the VGA cable connected directly to the Pioneer, for browsing & documents etc.

This will be an interim measure until the next generation of HD media players become available.

Doc

KraGorn

What are you planning to do in the Crystalio?

I have a Lumagen HDP fed from a Pioneer 868 interlaced HDMI (producing a superior PQ to that from the PC even when running FFDSHOW et. al), but when I use the HTPC I feed 720p out of the PC via DVI and thus use the Luma in pass-through mode (with a little colour correction), which is similar to what you're planning to do so am interested in what processing you envisage for the scaler.

Top Bottom