1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Vs Scart

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by videonasty, Nov 12, 2004.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    OK, I know this question has probably been asked before :suicide: but, I'm going to be buying a new amp & DVD recorder & I don't really know that much about component, so I'd like a little advice.

From what I can gather the component wire is 3 leads in the back of the DVD player & the other 3 leads in the TV, is this correct, or do I need something else?

Also is the quality marginally better, or vast amounts better?

I was looking at the Canares cable, that Mark Grant is selling, is this good cable, if I decide to choose component? :confused: :confused:

Any thoughts would be great, as I want to sort this out & purchase my chosen cables?

CHEERS

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There's no significant difference in PQ between component and RGB. A fully-wired SCART cable connected to suitably equipped equipment will carry RGB.

However: depending on the equipment (both display and DVD), progressive scan may be an option. This does often offer an improvement over a "normal" (interlaced) signal.

RGB is only ever interlaced. Component can be either. In other words, progressive scan outputs are carried only via component.

So: If your display AND DVD support progressive, use component and use the progressive option.

If your display OR DVD don't support progressive but do both support both RGB and Component, then choose either SCART or component according to your own preference (for cabling neatness, mainly) .

If either your display or DVD doesn't support component, use RGB.

3. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The TV & the DVD player both do :thumbsup: I was always favouring component, but I wanted to make sure first time.

I have one more question, do I need anything else with the component cable, or is the three wires each end sufficient?

CHEERS

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    To carry the picture all you need is the three wires for component (coloured red, green and blue although they aren't the R, G and B portions of the signal). You will also need to deal with the sound, this could either be via 2 phono leads to the TV or AMP or (preferably) a digital connection to an AV amp. Not sure what sort of amp you're going for.

HTH
    Owain