1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component vs Scart - difference?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by davand, Nov 6, 2002.

1. davand

davand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This maybe a stupid question BUT what is better, component output from DVD to TV or using standard RGB Scart??.

I have a Tosh 32ZP18 with a none component out (Tosh SD100E) DVD and was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading to a new Tosh unit with component. Is the output any better?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

2. davand

davand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice :rolleyes:

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very sorry you received no replies within 21 hours :rolleyes: but if you do a search on Component and RGB differences (or something along those lines), you'll find this question has been discussed at length and answered about a thousand times.

4. davand

davand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I was very sarcastic in my last post, my thread had been viewed 48 times and not one person had responded.

Also, am I to presume that if a topic has been discussed before then it cannot be discussed ever again?

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    davand: in optimum conditions, component leads should produce a better picture than an RGB scart lead.

However, one of the main of advantages of a component lead is that it can pass a progressive scan signal to a suitably equipped monitor or projector. Unfortunately your Tosh can't accept prog scan so that benefit isn't open to you.

That being the case, a good set of component leads from an upgraded DVD player is likely to give the best connection possible although a decent RGB only SCART will give pretty much the same results on a 32" screen, it's unlikely to be noticeably worse to the human eye anyway.

Basically speaking, in most situations, the following gives best PQ (in order, best first):

1. Component carrying progressive scan
    2. Component carrying interlaced
    3. RGB only Scart
    4. Scart
    5. S-video
    6. Composite

To be honest, the upgrade to your DVD player, if chosen wisely (something like the Tosh 220 or 520 assuming your happy with the brand thus far?), will make such a noticeable difference that as long as you use a decent RGB scart, you're likely to be impressed.

Hope this helps.

6. davand

davand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy - thanks very much for your response and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    At the risk of being flamed down with comments about being discussed 1000 times before...

I thought that an RGB scart cable was one which had all 21 pins connected and a non rgb scart only had the composite pin connected instead of the RGBs.

Is there such a thing as a RGB only scart which is better than an 'all 21 pins connected' one ?

They never seem to mention RGB on the packagaing of scart leads.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can buy RGB only Scart Cables from the likes of QED. They will also pass a Composite Signal but the audio pins are unconnected. Some people say this benefits picture quality but I was unable to see the differences myself. The main advantage of such a cable is that no sound will be routed to the TV, so you do not need to turn the TV's volume down when watching a DVD with audio via your Amp for example.

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers groundy

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Hey can I play too!

THe info on a DVD is COMPONENT. The TV needs RGB to work.....

So at some point one becomes the other. ie YPrPb to RGB conversion takes place. It might look like you are comparing where the conversion takes place, ie RGB out of DVD makes conversion in DVD while YPrPb out of DVD would mean conversion in TV. As Component to RGB conversion should be lossless you wouldn;t expect to see much/if any difference.

Except that most TV's take that incoming RGB signal and convert it to YPrPb...or even down to S-video so that they can do their own digital processing. They do this as both these component signals are lower bandwidth than RGB and are therefore cheaper to video processing solutions. There is at least one TV I've seen that seems to take component and do something to it (presumably downconvert to s-video) in such a way as to crush white detail. So even component might look worse than s-video!!!!

So I'd suggest the best solution is to try all three and see what works best. A good dealer will probably either know the answer or be able to let you borrow leads to work out the best hook up solution

All things being equal it's probabaly as has been shown in post above. Just thought I'd add some spice to the thread.

Gordon

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your comments are welcome and interesting. Indeed, that's what I wanted to say Gordon but my first reply seemed to come out all wrong :D.