Component vs S-Video

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Amelia, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to be picking up my AE100 today and I was wondering am I going to notice much difference from going from a DVD play to the projector, using either component or s-video ?

My Current DVD player only has S-video.

Kind Regards
    Amelia

2. quality

quality

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Amelia,

Personally when I switched from co-ax cabling from my DVD (Pioneer DV344) to my projector to an S-Video cable I did notice the difference. Maybe I was just expecting it!?! The actual DVD manual specifies that a clearer picture is achieved using either RGB cables or S-Video compared to Video in - Video Out.

On another issue how did you go with your painted screen and finding the paint. I too am currently looking for paints and shops to go who know what they're talking about. I'm in Melbourne as well..........thanks!

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    quality - if I'm reading your reply correctly, then you were using composite video. You should expect to see an improvement going to S-video from that.

But the difference between S-Video and component will be smaller. But it may still be noticeable, especially on a large screen. If your DVD player supports both, why not try both? Find a shop that has a good returns policy, or see if an AV dealer will loan you one of each type of cable until you decide.

4. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I even called Dulux Technical support, and they were of no use. I did talk to a dulux outlet the other day and the person I spoke with said they had a range of base coats that were basically flat white with different amounts of black in them ranging from 1-6. So I guess that could be it. I will let you know more tomorrow.

hi richard,

Yes I tried it out today using S-Video and the image quality looked fine. I may get another DVD player that as Component out and give it a go. Mine only has S-Video and Composite

Best Regards
    Amelia

5. quality

quality

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

One thing I've notice from installing many-a-car-audio systems is never use low quality cabling or connections..they really do make a difference. I was always under the assumption that S-Video has superior audio and visual quality that any other output from any component, but I may be wrong.

I think in terms of a DIY screen trial and error is needed. Today I'm off to get paint samples, and also some material from a fabric shop. I'll put them up on the wall and try to get a visual on them all.

6. iankerry

iankerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component is absolutely better than s-vhs - much clearer and no 'diagonal line interference'.

Definitely the way to go

Feccy35

8. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried out a 10m S-Video and I was surprised that it worked OK. No picture noise at all.

However I do have a question about Component Cables from what I can see the connections at the rear of the AE 100 look like standard RCA plugs. Is this correct? and if so is there any special requirements for the cable?

Regards
    Amelia

9. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    No special requirements just better quality cable = better picture as always. decide how much you want to spend!!!!

How's things going on the Home cinema. You seem to have come a long way since you were asking which pj to buy?;)

Regards,

Martin

10. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin :)

95% of what I have learnt has been through you guys and all your help and patients with my MANY questions. As far as the Home Cinema goes . . . well the PJ mount is pretty much complete. This took a while to work out since I didn't want to use the Keystone correction feature. I am happy with it and the best part it only cost around $20 (Australian).

Electrician will be in this afternoon to install Downlights and Power points etc (its 9:30am Wednesday here). Once electrical is complete painting is next (the room is currently white!!). Then its install every thing and set up the screen. Then purchase Recliners :) (I am also trying to get my hands on Movie Posters for the room)

I guess I am really hoping I can sit down in a couple of weeks time and enjoy my HT.

PS: My family think I have gone mad :D

Best Regards
    Amelia

11. quality

quality

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Amelia: Not sure how you went with the paint. After going to many larger suppliers (dulux, Bunnings, etc) and getting blank looks when I mention 'projector', I just happened to pass a small paint store near work. Only one guy working and when I mentioned projector, he immediately recommended a paint.
    Still unsure I got him talking and it wasn't until he mentioned the 'grey content' that I started believing he actually knew what he was talking about.
    The paint is flat white ceiling paint by Haymes (in Australia). It is a very white matt white with a small grey content. I actually painted half the wall (which I thought was white anyway) and played a DVD and was amazed how much of a diference it was. Whites whiter and brightness great. Even blacks weren't 'greying' and for $40/4 litres a great, cheap alternative.
    On another note I do have a 6ftx6ft projector screen for an old 8mm projector, and I can't tell the difference between this and the new painted wall.

Just on cabling, I have a S-Video input from DVD to projector and just a Video-In/Out RCA from Projector to Video (Videos, PayTV, TV). I also have RGB connections from my projector. Should I keep the S-Video from DVD to projector and change the single Video In to RGB..would this make a difference?

Thanks for reading...soprry about the long post!

12. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the paint info quality ;) I am also chasing a few leads. I will let you know how it goes.

My understanding of using RGB (Composite Video) is that it is lower quality than S-Video, however the difference between S-Video and Component is much less.

I personally haven't seen the difference between Component and S-Video with my own eyes so I don't know. I am also thinking of buying a DGTEC HD Set Top Box ($739 at JB Hi Fi) and connecting it via Component.

Personally I don't intend on using RGB Video In on the PJ. I will be using both the S-Video and Component In.

I hope this helps

Best Regards
    Amelia