Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Component vs RGB

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by TP2K, Jul 25, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read countless times that if you own a DVD player that can output Component a signal, then you should use it with your plasma.

I had previously hooked up my DVD (Pioneer DVR7000) to my old LG14 panel and compared the output with RGB into the same - for me RGB was *miles* better.

Today, now I have my spanking new Hitachi 42PD3000 I tried the same comparision - and again, the RGB picture is far superior.

Can anyone give some opinions on this? I know picture quality varies from person to person as to what each prefer, but I am surprised at the amount of support Component gets when I think it's quite bad.

Could it be my DVD player that is not outputting a particularaly good Component signal? Could it be my component cables (altough they are Ixos)? Are there any other tweaks I should be trying while connected via Component?

Thanks for any comments!

2. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm...I would be interested in this too, as I've just shelled out £55 on a component-> (15-pin) VGA cable in the belief that it would offer more than what I previously used (RGB scart).

Please tell me TP2K is doing something wrong! :D ;)

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It depends :clown:

No, really. If the scart output on your DVD is better than the component, then the picture should be better. Ditto w.r.t. the input connections on your display device.

I don't think there's anything inherently better in terms of scart vs. component. They're both just RGB, right (assuming we're only talking about RGB scart - not fully wired for composite etc) ?

I think most of the enthusiasm around these parts for component output is that it can provide a progressive scan signal to a plasma or LCD panel.

When it comes down to it you wont really know 'til you try it. Sweeping generalisations like "component is better than RGB scart" just don't cut it with so many variables.

All IMHO, of course.

Cheers, Carl.

4. Heady

Heady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, hopefully component does a better performance than RGB, because I'v just ordered a component cable today in the meaning, that component is slightly better than RGB (there's a big thread in the DVD Player Forum about the connections, unfortunately a bit too technical for my base AV-Knowledge ;) ).

Well, the retailer offered some various component cables, and I really got shocked as I'v seen the prices...

Anyone heard of "Audioquest" ? They actually produce very high quality cables (www.audioquest.com) for video and audio. But I couldn't believe what a price I'd have payed if I'd bought only ONE meter of such a component cable: 362 US-Dollars (well, I don't know how much this is in UK pounds because I started with 500 Swiss Francs and calculated the Dollar cost). I mean...these are just cables...probably componet cables are in the US much cheaper than here in good ol' europe...but anyway...I'v choosen a "normal" component cable for 60 Dollars (and IMO that's also expensive).

On the other hand my RGB Input is blocked by the Gamecube (yeah it worked with forwarding the sound through the MediaBox of the Pio 433HDE -> gamecube and plasma thread), but there the difference between composite and RGB is damn visible, hopefully the component cable does also such a great job with my DVD Player.

Greetz

Heady

5. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component video is way different to RGB.
    RGB is red-green-blue signals separated as they are required for display buy most display devices.
    Component is Y (luminance) Pb (colour1) Pr (Colour2) (Cb and Cr is the interlaced version of component, where as Pb and Pr is progressive) that is converted into RGB, much the same way Y/C (S-Video) is converted to RGB. The advantage is that the colour signal is further separated in component (as compared to S-Video) which allows more resolution of the signal. Composite is the worst, in which all three signals are made into 1.
    As for the difference between the signals in the real world, well that's down to the quality of the transcoders in the TVs you buy.
    I've personally found most transcoders to be of poor quality. That is if you have a device that outputs RGB and YPbPr the image quality on the display device 99.9% of the time is superior using RGB (either RGB video or RGB progressive, which is VGA, SVGA, XGA, and the HD standards etc).
    Companies like Key Digital Make profressional transcoders for devices that don't output RGB. An example is the Xbox console. Doesn't do RGB out, but using the Key Digital device you can make it RGB with a marked difference in quality over most component input displays.
    Usually the cheaper the TV the worse the transcoder for component. Key Digital sell them for around $300US and they support all HD resolutions (not sure about PAL - haven't tried).
    I'm sure there are retailers in the UK with them.

6. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought the lack of difference in quality was due to the fact that the Hitachi was an Alis panel...

From what I gather it converts progressive into interlaced, which means there's no advantage in using component over RGB.

Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about will correct me if I'm wrong though...

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    This is inaccurate, one is analogue, one is digital, not i and p.

DVD signals are stored as component signals. RGB therefore has to be 'generated' from component which is a mathematical transformation (RGB is also component just a different sort). The issue is most chip sets driving display devices are component based in their 'communications' and therefore need to transpode RGB back to component.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,076
    TP2K

As others have said its very easy to generalise and there are no hard and fast rules - its down to trial and error within your own system.

You have a Pioneer DVD recorder which is capable of outputting Interlaced RGB (with sync on video) via SCART or Interlaced YUV (Component in Home Cinema circles) via 3xRCA connectors.

You simply cannot assume that the YUV out is better than the RGB out - you will have to try both.

You also have to factor in that your display may have a better video input circuit for RGB than it has for YUV - remember that your display has to process both RGB and YUV (Interlaced or Progressive) before it displays the image.

The main 'Generalisation' made about YUV Component video in Home Cinema circles is that any player capable of Progressive YUV is going to be better than one that only outputs YUV Interlaced (non progressive) - again this is a generalisation and even if true assumes that your TV, Plasma or Projector handles Progressive YUV better than interlaced YUV or RGB.

I think (hope) that by now you will have grasped that these are all generalisations and its a matter of trial and error within the 'confines' of your own system - you may find that what works with your DVD recorder would not hold true for you if you changed to a Pioneer DVD player with Progressive YUV out (I would not expect the DVR-7000 to rival say the DV-757ai in terms of absolute video quality).

Trust this helps.

Joe

PS And of course once you work out what is the best output/input pairing in your system you can then start to test various cables to see if they make a positive difference in your set up (and as Heady has found out you can pay an awful lot of money for cables).