Component vs RGB

Selectortone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All, confused of Bournemouth here.....

Need some advice. I have a home cinema setup based around a Yamaha DSP-E492 which is now nearly 4 years old and I'm thinking of upgrading.

I'm looking at the new Denon AVR-1803. I notice it has video component inputs and outputs. I quite like the idea of switching video as well as audio via the amp. (The Yamaha only has composite video in/out so previously I've done the TV switching separately).

Q1: I currently use the RGB input on my widescreen TV - is this the same thing (as component)?

Q2: If NO why don't they put RGB SCARTS on the back of Home cinema receivers so that you can switch RGB? Seems sensible to me - my DVD player outputs RGB and so does my NTL cable box.

I'm not wildly excited by the S-video alternative. I'm used to RGB now.

Many thanks in advance
Selectortone

(In consumer land) RGB is not component :(

Most UK TV's have RGB input available on a SCART input
It appears only the Loewe TV's have component inputs on a SCART.

I haven't checked this myself, but people have routed RGB through the component connections on an AV amp.

simplistic view: RGB is UK, Component is everywhere else, and the AV receivers are predominately Japanese.

Simplistic answer is component switching (3 wires) can be switched in these AV receivers, hence the feature. They can also be used for RGB but the RGB in a SCART is a 4 pin signal and therefore an extra wire is needed. The net result is they don't work! Unless you are smart like Tag and Arcam who switch at least 4 signals.

I thought the RGB from Sky boxes and DVD players had sync on green.

Ain't it PC's and similar stuff that have RGB+S??:confused:

:cool: You learn something new <most> days!

A quick check of some cable shifters and they all only sell SCART to RGB+S leads... - not a single SCART to just RGB available.

Can our AV recievers route RGB + the associated PAL to the Scart?
The PAL signal would have the missing sync info.

i.e. my DVD player could be connected so that RGB via the SCART is on the AV input, AND also it's PAL O/P.

Originally posted by kevenh
simplistic view: RGB is UK, Component is everywhere else, and the AV receivers are predominately Japanese.
Just a small correction, RGB (via SCART) is the whole of Europe (including Eastern Europe, Russia etc) not just UK.

There are a small handful of AV receivers that have RGB SCART switching - have seen a review of one recently but can't remember the name (think it was an exotic Scandinavian make). I imagine that the trouble is the size of the sockets.

The Marantz SR9200 also has a 2 SCART sockets (one in, one out) - allthough I think these are just there so you can daisy chain it together with your other kit and not much else.

Michael.

If NO why don't they put RGB SCARTS on the back of Home cinema receivers so that you can switch RGB?

Cost and space I assume. The above mentioned Marantz does have SCART (though as well I am not sure what function they have) as does some T+A equipment.

Thanks guys

Since posting this I've done some browsing around these forums and this is obviously a FAQ!

Lots of good info around here. I think I'll stick with manally switching the video. It would appear that I could use the component inputs/outputs to route my RGB (since the sync is carried on green so it's 3-wire too) but I'd have to make up/buy special connectors to try it out and life's too short.....

Thanks again
Selectortone

ps, I'm veering away from the Denon AVR-1803 and leaning towards a Yamaha DPS-AX630SE (don't need the RX-V radio bit) - it seems to have the better rep anyone care to comment pro/con? Thanks.

DVD RGB is Sync on Composite

AV Amps route composite

Try that

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom