Component Vs RGB (Scart?) Vs Svideo Vs Composite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the follow up response, and I take your point on the quality of a lower cost converter.

Just to clarify, when I asked whether the increased picture quality merited the extra cost of conversion of the RGB signal, I was referring to the increase in picture quality over the current s-video connection he is using. To access the better quality RGB signal he has to go through the conversion process because of the limited connection options on the projector. (I understand that converting Interlaced RGB to Interlaced YUV can't increase image quality, at best it will be equal.) I was worried that the conversion process might actually degrade the component signal, such that he wouldn't see any appreciable benefit over the current s-video signal he is using. He's on a budget. Do you think it is worth the cost of the converter plus an extra long scart or component cable that he doesn't currently own to go from S-Video to component?

By the way, that SnaZio is interesting. I see it upconverts and outputs 720p or 1080i over analog component outputs - which sort of negates the entire theme of my prior post! - haven't seen that on any DVD players in the US. Do you know if it would work in the US? I can't use the Oppo because my (4 year old) Hi Def Toshiba 57" rear-projection TV only has analog component video inputs, no DVI or HDMI.

Thanks for all the help,
Andrew

Hi,

wonder if anyone can help, I currently use a media center pc connected by s-video - however I remember reading somewhere that widescreen signals are not passed down s-video cables correctly - is that correct?

Or does it depend on the resolution of the desktop?

If so, would a VGA -> scart adaptor solve the widescreen problem as these allow widescreen resolutions on desktop?

Thanks
Tony

In answer to tony (although he's probably gone elsewhere now), you're right - widescreen information isn't passed down s-video.

I don't think there is such a thing as a (commercially-available) VGA-scart cable, and I found the best quality picture from my media center (until I upgraded to DVI-HDMI with a new TV) was to send an s-video signal from the media center's video card.

Set your set top box to wide-screen and RGB output and it will handle the majority of the scaling required.

To get "best fit" on screen in media center, press the "i" button on your remote while watching TV and select zoom; I have mine set to "3", which works fine almost all the time.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom