1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component vs other connections

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Manny Brown, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Manny Brown

Manny Brown
    AVF Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Ok this is a very noob question, for which i apologise in advance.

With regards to HD connections, does a component input offer a decent picture compared to say DVI or vga? Is there any perceptible quality leap, say like the gap between composite to RGB scart? Or do component cables offer faitly decent image quality?

I'm a little confused with the whole HDTV stuff coming in, and am looking forward to getting the 360 when it comes out, but didnt know whether it'd be worth shelling out more for a VGA adaptor for it?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try a search and see the FAQ in the LCD TV forum but I would definately wait and see first, the display you will be connecting to will have a major impact on the connection options and end quality

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Component is an analogue connection format - similar in quality to RGB VGA which is also an analogue format. There is little difference, everything else being equal, between Component and VGA RGB picture quality when carrying video.

DVI is (or can be) a digital video format (as is HDMI) - that when connected to a suitable display allows for 1:1 pixel mapping between source video and display. However there are also implementation issues to consider - and so your mileage may vary.