Component vs HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gpzarquon, Apr 27, 2007.

1. gpzarquon

gpzarquon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've just bought myself a Samsung LE32R74 LCD TV.

I have my DVD player connected via Scart and as you can imagine it's not great.

I have Component out on the DVD and i'm wondering..

Is it worth buying a cheapy HDMI dvd player to improve the picture or would i be better off using the existing DVD player and buying some component out cables ???

ie, will the picture be better by Component compared to Scart.

I'm presuming that if i buy a cheap HDMI dvd with upscaling, this may make no difference as the tv will perform it's own upscaling !?

Many Thanks in Advance,

> Guy

:)

2. tricky1974

tricky1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the tv will do its own scaling but I've a 32R74 sammy and I don't think it does standard rez very well so i upscale the picture to it to 720p,its the only tv of mine that i use one of my upscaling dvd players scaling with and setting colour to 4:2:2 10bit makes a big difference at 720p (i can't notice any difference) at standard rez but i was unlucky and got a CMO panel?

3. gpzarquon

gpzarquon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tricky...

I did wonder about this tv not being great at Standard res...

So it's worth me taking the plunge and buying an HDMI dvd player then ?

My only problem is the other parts of my system !

I had an old Amp that takes analogue 5.1 inputs.. the dvd player i have ( Tosh 420e ) does the decoding..

I don't really wanna go super expensive on this.. but i do want to improve the picture qual from my DVD's.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

> Guy

4. tricky1974

tricky1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest and (for the money) best I reckon is a panasonic s52 easy to make region free plays anything i've put in it, theres a s53 coming out soon but try a s52 you could get one in argos and if you don't like it take it back? :smashin:

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    via component you can get a great picture if your dvd player has a good deinterlacing chip which gives progressive scan. The better of the cheaper ones are around 200+ with the faroudja chip. By just using component you will get a better picture than scart. Also your tv has built in scallers so it will do the upscaling. You can buy dvd players that upscale via hdmi but really there might not be much difference unless you pay big money 500+. I hear the oppo is good value around 180 pounds.

The top dvd players that cost 1000+ usually have great scalers and actually make a difference as they should, of what i have read the arcam 139 has built in video processor of high quality like these:

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/systems/

6. gpzarquon

gpzarquon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That's the info i need...

I was going to buy a cheap HDMI dvd player but it would of meant i had to ditch the 5.1 sound ( current amp / analogue out on current dvd player )

So, does anyone know if the Toshiba 420e has got a got de-interlacing chip ?

Thanks in advance,

> Guy

7. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    if the dvd player doesnt have deinterlacing chip or progressive scan feature then your pic quality will suffer as your tv will upscale the pic but it will be interlaced and most probably suffer from jaggies and less detail which everyone wants.

Just found this on the net: http://www1.shopping.com/xPF-Toshiba-SD-420E

so your player doesnt have pro scan and your picture wont be as good. I just bought a denon 1730 and very pleased with the pic. quality , i only use it through component and has very good sound as well. It also has a scaler through hdmi which unfortunately my tv doesnt have.

8. gpzarquon

gpzarquon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm...

Comet wanted £69.99 for Component Cables ( kind of cheaper to buy a new DVD player with HDMI ! )

Ended up buying the same cables from Currys for £9.99

And it's made a HUGE difference...

Thanks,

> Guy