1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component vs HDMI. The real difference?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Luis, May 23, 2005.

1. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering how much better DVD through HDMI is compared to the same DVD through component?

I know obviously in theory it should be better. But I wondered if anyone who has had real experience with this can shed any light on how big an improvement it offers.

If you're a big movie fan and you've just bought a new plasma (I haven't yet) is it worth forking out the extra for a DVD player with HDMI output over a standard player featuring progressive scan and the like?

thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why should it be better?

3. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm no expert, but I'm guessing because there's no converting of the signal going on so it's the most direct source you can attain from your DVD player

How much difference that makes in practice I don't know ;)

EDIT: Just stumbled across this site: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html which has some interesting things to say

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have quite a high end DVD player and the picture is definitely better via hdmi than component progressive scan. However, this could be to do with a number of different factors, including the quality of the progressive scan processing, the quality of the hdmi and scaling within the dvd player, the fact that they were compared with different cables.........
    You`ll find plenty of support on this forum for both approaches, as well as the SDI route.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    It will vary from display to display and device to device, simple as that.

If the analogue stages are not very good then I guess HDMI will probably look better, however if both the analogue and hdmi is done correctly on the source and the display then there should be nothing in it, chances of that happening? I would say slim to none from what I have seen so far.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    HDMI/DVI/Component are only transfer mechanisms.

Each has a "potential", but it is how well this "potential" is used that makes the difference.

Component on budget decks is normally poor, and is not helped by cheap digital to analogue converters.

HDMI/DVI at least removes one DA/AD conversion, and seems to be a lot better than Component, on lower end DVD players.
    Maybe this is why some people report massive increases in quality when switching between Component and HDMI/DVI.

At the higher end of the scale, it is not so clear cut.
    Some decks can convert to Component so well, that you would be hard pushed to spot any difference.

I found i preferred Component versus HDMI/DVI when i first got my Pioneer 868i DVD player.
    I was a little miffed with this, as the main reason for getting the 868i was it's digital output.

The picture via HDMI/DVI seemed softer and flatter than Component, and i wondered what all the fuss was about.

In the end i decided to stick with HDMI/DVI for one week.
    After this period, i was shocked to find that i couldn't go back to component.

Things in the Component signal that i had never really noticed before, now became obvious.
    The softer picture was in fact more detailed, as the analogue induced ringing had been removed.
    There was also a subtle veil removed from the entire image, by the fact that there was no analogue video noise.

Colours that i thought less saturated via HDMI/DVI, were in fact tighter and less bloated and much more accurate.
    The is be demonstrated when you start to notice subtle differences in hues, that previously looked the same.

So HDMI/DVI isn't better than Component as such, it just has the "potential" to be more accurate. :smashin:

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    And then there is SDI.............

It never ends! ;)

I use a Panny HD6 at the moment and the DVI input is no where near as good as the component, or RGB/H/V input, so any benefits with hdmi on a player are wiped out by the display.

8. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info guys,

I'm probably going to buy the Panasonic PV500 and am considering purchasing the Arcam DV79 at the same time as my current DVD player is very old and not very good.

Guess like all things AV it'll best be a case of finding somewhere where I can demo the combo and compare HDMI to component :) If only it was as easy to do as it sounds!

9. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Panny HD7 and wouldn't be without my Lumagen HDP and DVI blade. My Arcam outputs through HDMI and goes into screen digitally as well. So digital to analogue conversion is avoided making the picture much more 'cleaner'. The reduction in noise compared to component is very easy to see.

Fidelio

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Now that is interesting, I don't like the DVI on my panny screen, so much more noise in the darker areas, you can only see it properly when close to the screen, but when away from the screen it is the difference between that 3D pop and not.

I use a Crystalio, and an SDI Philips 963 and SDI sky by the way. Now going into my Iiyama monitor the DVI is better than the RGB.