1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component VS HDMI/DVI

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by timaras, Feb 28, 2005.

1. timaras

timaras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What will be the difference between the two modes? I have a dvd player with both dvi and component video outputs, and I wonder whether I should spend the extra money to get digital cables (to get dvi out) or should I just use the component cables that I already have. Is it worth it?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Component is analog while DVI(-D) is digital. I also assume that DVI will be progressive (non-interlaced) while component can be progressive but doesn't have to be, depending on your DVD player.
    Also not that your display must support progressive scan via component if you were to use that.

However most important is to know what connections your display has - component or DVI, or both?

3. timaras

timaras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the differences *in principle* for the 2 types of connections. I want to know how it looks though in reality, and if its worth it to spend $150 to get hdmi cables (my infocus 4805 projector has both inputs).

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It would obviously depend on your equipment, so you need to make that comparision for yourself.
    $150 sounds a bit excessive for a cable though ...

5. timaras

timaras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since the answer depends on the equipment, that tells me that there is not a clear cut difference and so I will stick to component. I would go for hdmi if there was a huge difference in quality in dependent of equipment (like the difference between composite and component, in 99% of the cases component will show up better).

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    timaras

HDMI will generally look 'cleaner' than YUV - your cutting out two stage of signal conversion D/A and A/D.

The underlying signal being 'transported' over the HDMI Digital link is not very different to what's being 'transported' over the Analogue YUV link so your looking at incremental improvements not huge jumps.

That said there are plenty examples of source and display technology where the manufacturer has put more effort into the HDMI Input/Output over any of the analogue connections and its definitely worth investigating.

I'm sure you can find a way to test a cable in your system.

Best regards

Joe

7. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was very pleased with the Component set-up I had and it took me a long time to make the HDMI decision as I have a 10m run. Having made the investment though, I can say it was definately a major step forward both in terms of reduction in noise and colour presentation. Testing it is the right suggestion if you can arrange it, otherwise it's a punt. If you are viewing on a large screen (eg projected) for me the punt was worth it.