Component vs composite vs RF for 2nd TV?

diggerbarnes

Standard Member
Hi, I am having Sky HD installaed later this month in the lounge. I have a second screen in the kitchen which is currently linked via RF (coaxial).

I have the opportunity to chase in some new leads to the kitchen, to allow for the possibility of a small HD screen in future.

So the question is:

- should I stick with existing RF feed?
- or go for SD composite video ?
- or HD component ?

And also would I notice the difference on a small screen anyway?

Thanks!

BrianPK

Definitely component.imo......You will notice the diff. between HD andSD even if the impact isn't the same as with a large screen.

TomUK

Standard Member
Hi, I am having Sky HD installaed later this month in the lounge. I have a second screen in the kitchen which is currently linked via RF (coaxial).

I have the opportunity to chase in some new leads to the kitchen, to allow for the possibility of a small HD screen in future.

So the question is:

- should I stick with existing RF feed?
- or go for SD composite video ?
- or HD component ?

And also would I notice the difference on a small screen anyway?

Thanks!

I would consider an HDMI cable,top quality and carries both audio and video signals.

diggerbarnes

Standard Member
Yes I have been told component.

Regarding HDMI the issue (correct me if I'm wrong) is that I am already using the HDMI lead for the main screen, this is a secondary output from the Sky HD box

MSW

Distinguished Member
Yes I have been told component.

Regarding HDMI the issue (correct me if I'm wrong) is that I am already using the HDMI lead for the main screen, this is a secondary output from the Sky HD box

Thats right but you can use a HDMI splitter. Go the cheapest route.

Cost of component and audio cables v the cost of HDMI cable and a splitter

FYI I say a link on another forum for a splitter at £48.

Finally you may also want to factor in the cost and time having to chase in 5 cables v one cable.

Mark

BrianPK

Thats right but you can use a HDMI splitter. Go the cheapest route.

Cost of component and audio cables v the cost of HDMI cable and a splitter

FYI I say a link on another forum for a splitter at £48.

Finally you may also want to factor in the cost and time having to chase in 5 cables v one cable.

Mark

You are absolutely right.I presume the splitter won't cause any deterioration in picture quality of the main flatscreen?

MSW

Distinguished Member
You are absolutely right.I presume the splitter won't cause any deterioration in picture quality of the main flatscreen?

The best way to answer the question is to say that the splitter should not cause any deteriation.

For what it's worth I have 4 of these splitters.

1 QED one RRP £315 1 x 4
2 Cyruss (the one in the link) 1x 4 rrp approx £180
3 Unbranded 1 x 4 from the states off E-Bay
4 The 1 x 2 in the link.

Neither of them cause any deteriation, however, none of them worked first time either. I needed to continiously unplug and change HDMI cables to get them to work and unplug replug in the power source.

They all work fine now:hiya:

I also use component out from one of my HD boxes and I can't tell any difference.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom