1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component video????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dannycox, Jan 5, 2002.

1. dannycox

dannycox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help with connecting a Sony 725D DVD player to a Sony LCD Projector via Component video sockets. There are 3 phono sockets on the DVD marked red, green, blue, and 4 sockets on the projector marked red, green, blue, and sync. I made up a lead but do not know about the sync part. PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try running another lead from the DVD players composite out and plug that into the sync socket.

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Read your Sony dvd manual to see if your player will output RBGs (component with sync, (using the composite as sync) also to see if your PJ will accept a component input without sync, then you wouldn't have to change players. Go thru the OSD menus in both.

RGBs and component out may look the same but they are like French and English, different languages.
    Rare but some units output both types of singal.

Component out uses YUV out only and the sync is carried down the Y terminal. (only just learnt that myself!)
    RGBs out uses YUV + a composite phono terminal to carry the sync.
    In theory RGBs should be better but I would be supprised if you could spot the difference.

Hope that helps a little

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    Actually there isn't any reason why the RGB out should be better than the YPrPb signal.

Component is an analogue compressed version of the original RGB signal. The conversion from one to the other should be lossless. The signal stored on a DVD is a digital component YUV signal. The projector, as with all display devices, needs an RGB signal to work. So you can see at some point the component signal must become RGB. The only question is where this happens, in DVD player or in Projector. Any difference in picture quality between YPrPb out or RGB from DVD player really just shows you how good the realtive performance of this circuit is in both devices.

I think the Sony can accept component with sync on Y so you should just go in to menu system and tell it that this is the signal going to that input.

All the best,

Gordon

Gordon

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I agree, thats why I say I would be surprised if a difference could be spotted, but a purist would have you believe it differently......such as Chord the cable company have quoted to me.