Component video vs RGB Scart

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference between using RGB Scart or component video, for watching DVD movies?

I am thinking of buying a DVD player and deciding between the Toshiba 210E or the Pioneer 444 (or 545 if my arm can be twisted to pay extra 70 quid). The Toshiba has component output but the Pioneer doesn't. Both have RGB Scart. How much will I be missing out on if I opt for the Pioneer DVD player and go without component video output?

Thanks.

Well Doc,

I personally would go for the Toshiba 210e. I don't think theres much in it using RGB scart and YUV interlaced. Maybe YUV just pips it at the post. At least you get the option to choose!
The differnce in cost should not be an issue for you as they are pennies apart.

Having said that though, using scart will give you auto av switching, meaning as soon as you put a disc in the player the tv will go straight to the dvd channel. A handy feature that they both do. This can't be done with YUV but both signal can select on screen format i.e widescreen.

NB. I'm led to believe the only difference between the Pioneer 444 and 545 is colour? Check that out for yourself.

Originally posted by Snowman

NB. I'm led to believe the only difference between the Pioneer 444 and 545 is colour? Check that out for yourself.

The 545 has an extra scart (useful for RGB passthru) and better circuitry for CD playback :D

Thanks Boldicoot.

There you have it Doc, if you only have one scart on the back of your tv set and wanna plug your sat receiver in as well this is for you.

If your thinking about buying a new tv in the near future, most Tosh's now have YUV inputs including their monster rear screen projection models! Oh and Loewe tv sets! Not many else though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom